Skip to main content

is this possible

Thanks Sonos for making this super confusing!

im going to ask my specific question since there is so much info out there on different situations and I can’t be clear as to what the right answer is unless I create my own.

Is this possible: I would like to add an aftermarket older version Jen one play five speakers to play in my kitchen, same music new room. Already upgraded my current system to the new app app S2. I am seeing conflicting info on the Internet as to whether or not I can now play my new system with the old system.it seems as though I can, but I need to downgrade my app to the S1. I am hearing that this is not possible please confirm and let me know what is possible.

current system

living room =2x One SL (stereo pair) 

want to add
2x play 5 gen1

16 replies

Once it is running the S2 app (now called the Sonos app) the One SL cannot be downgraded to S1. 

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-app-version-compatibility

Userlevel 1
Badge

Ok so that means I can not play Same  music in different rooms?  

The articles below may help to setup a separate system for your Gen 1 products.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/set-up-separate-s1-and-s2-sonos-systems

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/set-up-a-separate-sonos-s1-system

Userlevel 1
Badge

Ok so thanks you guys are saying different things. One guy says I can not down grade app after it is upgraded and you are sending me a link that say how to downgrade app. So can you please just answer the question. 

can I play same music in 2 rooms

room1 (current) room =SONOS One SL (Sonos app)

room 2 (want to add) = 2x play 5 gen1

Ok so thanks you guys are saying different things. One guy says I can not down grade app after it is upgraded and you are sending me a link that say how to downgrade app. So can you please just answer the question. 

can I play same music in 2 rooms

room1 (current) room =SONOS One SL (Sonos app)

room 2 (want to add) = 2x play 5 gen1

If you read the links they are not talking about downgrading but setting up a separate system for Gen 1 products that will only work on S1 controller. Separate means separate you will have two distinct systems_S1 and S2.

Userlevel 1
Badge

LOL

THANKS

I did read the article and I don’t think you read my question. And in the articles you sent, it did say  how to downgrade apps, which the other guy said I can not do.

so forgive me for being uncertain as it seems there is a lot of conflicting info regard  this. And I’m trying to get a straight answer.

@AjTrek1 

is it possible?

im trying to do the same music different rooms not 2 systems.

i appreciate your simple answer

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yes No? Maybe so I don’t know

Userlevel 1
Badge

This article says “no”

but they are trying to group old and new in same room.

I am trying to have same music in different rooms. 
2 groups same system same song same time?

is this possible 

Simple answer is No. Given the current state of the Sonos app.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you 

Userlevel 1
Badge

If I am using “air play “ to play music or shows does that change anything? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

No - even if you could make the source material play at the same time on both systems, your problem will be that the two parts of the system will not be synchronised. Even a 10ms difference between the two parts will be very irritating indeed.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Ok thanks wow so is just one up’t apple in Planned obsolescence 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Ok thanks wow so is just one up’t apple in Planned obsolescence 

I don’t typically rush to the defence of Sonos (and especially not with regard to the ludicrous new app situation), but products evolve over the years and as I understand it they came to a point where they pretty much had no option but to separate the generations - the older models simply don’t have the resources to keep up with the newer products.

The PLAY:5 gen 1 was designed and built long before AirPlay, much less the current AirPlay 2, was released by Apple. It is not capable of receiving an AirPlay 2 signal, it doesn’t have the electronics necessary. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you all very much this was helpful