Answered

Is Sonos hacking my Spotify?

• 26 June 2023
  • 3 replies

I have no idea what Sonos is.

But for the last year or so, I’ve been dealing with someone somehow having access to my Spotify through an app called Sonos. I have never sign up my Spotify on any of it. Im the only person who has access to my Spotify account. 

When I speak to costumer service for Spotify, they were never able to solve my issue. I have changed passwords and logged out of all devices multiple times. Still, someone is able to invade my Spotify through the Sonos app and create a device named “Family Room”. None of my neighbors have families around me. I have never given my wifi password to strangers, only 3 people know it and none of them know what Sonos is. Regardless, I still changed my wifi passwords as well. 

It got to a point that whenever I saw someone listening my Spotify through Sonos, I’d just take over the speaker and play Metallica, heavy metal and weird noises as loud as possible. Still, at least once a week for the past 18 months I play this game of logging myself out of everything, forgetting the device and removing Sonos access to my Spotify. 

Is Sonos the new super power of technology? I’m outta options here 

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 29 June 2023, 17:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Did you ever visit a friend who had a Sonos system, then play from your Spotify account on their system? That’s the only legit way I can think this is happening.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Bruna Rett, welcome to the Sonos Community!

As @controlav suggested, the only way for Spotify to be added to a Sonos system is by manually adding it with the account details. If you haven’t added Sonos to a friend or family members system and don’t recognize the device your Spotify is playing to, then I would recommend the following:

1. Remove Spotify access to third party apps.
  2. Sign out of Spotify everywhere.
  3. Change your Spotify password.

Spotify have an article on hacked accounts which you can find here. Simply click on the “Still have access to your account?” section and follow the steps there.

I hope this information helps!

I have already done all of the above. I even had Spotify tech support helping me switch my account into a whole new different account. I don’t know anyone that knows Sonos. I never logged my account into anything other than my phone. I’ve explored the idea that my wifi have been hacked and also had Spectrum come down to check. I’ve changed new phones and passwords. It just really is a mystery to me