Answered

Is it worth borrowing an iPhone

• 21 March 2023
  • 9 replies

Badge

Hi all,

I have just purchased a Sonos Beam Gen 2, but I’m an Android User.  Is it worth it to borrow an iPhone so I can set it up using TruePlay?  Will I be able to return the iPhone once it is setup?

TIA

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 21 March 2023, 06:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, Trueplay is worth borrowing an iPhone for. Just install the Sonos app from the app store, log into the app and run a Trueplay. After you have done that uninstall the app and return the iPhone. You can even turn the Trueplay profile on and off on your Android phone.

Badge

Great, thank you very much.  Now off to get that iPhone.

In most respects the Apps are simply fancy remote controls and don’t store anything critical. Unless you are playing music stored on the phone or played through an App currently running on the phone, you could start the music, then uninstall the SONOS controller and the music will continue playing. Up to 32 controllers can simultaneously be active.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Definitely worth it! I am an Android user too and have a number of Sonos speakers around my house. I even bought a cheap second hand iPad for this very purpose (so that I can run Trueplay when ever I want) 

You just need to check on the compatibility of the iOS device if you did buy a second hand one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I’d say it is well worth doing.  For one of my rooms it made a massive improvement, especially with the Sub tuning.  For the the Playbase the improvement was noticeable too.  For other rooms less so.

Note that the tuning is specific to where the speakers are placed and a change in placement needs a retuning that needs an iPhone again. 

Or, if the tuning does not suit the relocating, you can turn it off via Android.

Badge

Thanks everyone for your replies, I will definitely borrow an iPhone.

I’ve been looking at the various videos on how to use TruePlay and there’s a part where you walk around the room waving the iPhone.  The instructions say to walk around the whole room.  At our place we have the Lounge area, where the TV and Sonos is, which adjoins a Dining Room, which adjoins a Kitchen.

I’m assuming I would just move around the Lounge Area?

TIA

Try both, see which you prefer. It’s all subjective :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

We have a big L shaped area, for my ears just walking around the listening area gave me the sound i liked best.