I have a Sub (Gen 3) and can't decide between a pair of Sonos Fives or a pair of Era 300

• 15 September 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

So,

As described in the topic field, I have a Sub (Gen 3) and can't decide between a pair of Sonos Fives or a pair of Era 300’s for a general music listening set-up.

I know how good the Sonos Five is, and I’m very tempted to go down that route but I also I like the idea of additional connectivity of the Era 300 but I do want to ensure that the Sub is going to make up for the perceived lack of bottom-end on the Era 300 - that is the clincher for me.

I’m also interested in the spatial audio aspect of the Era 300, and have the space to position them in my Victorian semi to benefit from the wider soundstage but spatial is not a dealbreaker for me right now. 

I listen to jazz, funk, alt-rock and classical in the main and - important note here - intend eventually running a turntable/hifi-separates system through the proposed set-up - not decided what route to take on that yet but it will definitely happen.

I’m after a rich, and engaging sound - it’s not about volume; adding the Sub to my Beam 2/Ones as rears set-up made a significant difference to how the One’s performed when I just want to listen to music.

But it’s time for the next step...

All input welcome - and thanks in advance.

Chris

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I think it all comes down to spatial audio vs quality stereo.  The Era 300’s give the former, the Fives excell at the latter.   

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Cheers jgatie - that’s definitely the direction I’m leaning towards, just got that nagging little voice in my head that keeps on banging on about future connectivity… and what do you think on whether the Sub will compensate for the lack of bottom end of the Era 300?

Cheers jgatie - that’s definitely the direction I’m leaning towards, just got that nagging little voice in my head that keeps on banging on about future connectivity… and what do you think on whether the Sub will compensate for the lack of bottom end of the Era 300?

The Sub will more than compensate for the lower end.  Be ready to get used to it, though.  It doesn’t have that “bass bloat” hump at 60 Hz like most inexpensive subs out there.  It’s a flatter curve to represent a more natural sound, but when it kicks in, you will definitely feel it. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

The Sub will more than compensate for the lower end.  Be ready to get used to it, though.  It doesn’t have that “bass bloat” hump at 60 Hz like most inexpensive subs out there.  It’s a flatter curve to represent a more natural sound, but when it kicks in, you will definitely feel it. 

Okay, that’s useful to know - I much prefer a natural sound (even if I rarely fire-up my trusty Quad seperates these days) and I’m still leaning towards those Fives.