Skip to main content
Answered

I bought a new house with a Sonos system and I can't connect to it.

Hello.

We bought a house recently. The previous owner gave us a good discount on her Sonos system [not that we really wanted it, but we really did not want holes and useless cables in the walls].

The sound bar under the TV connects to the TV via the optical cable and works well. The two ceiling speakers are silent. There is a Connect:Amp in the basement.

I am looking for guidance on what to do now, please. I am clueless. Do I call Sonos? What’s the number?

I have WiFi but, obviously, it’s not the same as the previous owner had.

Please treat me as a complete newbie, because I am. What do I do?

Thank you very much!!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Factory reset each unit: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/reset-your-sonos-product

Then download the Sonos app, temporarily wire one unit to the router via ethernet, open the app and choose to setup a new system.  Once you enter the new wifi credentials, you can the disconnect the Ethernet and add the rest of the system.

There’s a couple of things I’d recommend. First, a factory reset of all the Sonos devices. That way, you can erase all settings the previous owner had set up, and register each device to your own account. Second, I’d download the Sonos app (not sure which one you need S1 or S2, it depends on the devices in your system), and follow the instructions in the app to set up a new system. See the https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/creating-your-sonos-account

FAQ. 

Edit: @jgatie types faster…

Thank you! Just measured all the distances to the closest router (I have a few google repeaters). Ordered 50 ft CAT6 cable, arrives on Tuesday. That’s 10ft more than the longest cable run=should be plenty.

This Tuesday I will:

1. perform a factory reset
  2. install the app
  3. connect the sonos item to the router
  4. follow the setup instructions
  5. report back on here what happened (positive or negative)

Thank you all for your guidance! Much appreciated!

Looking at your photo, the CONNECT:AMP is wired to the network. Take inventory of the SONOS components, then check to see if they are all compatible with S2. If so, then I recommend setting up as an S2 system. Depending on its age the CONNECT:AMP might not be compatible with S2. Check the first characters in the serial number. This is the month of manufacture. If the unit is 1501 or later, it’s S2 compatible.

Since CONNECT:AMP is wired to the network, you probably do not need to wire any additional units, but I recommend wiring as many as is practical — yes, I’m anal about wiring.

Hi, all. Thank you for all the advice! I’m stuck.

I factory-reset the Connect:Amp, got a long cable, plugged into the Google Nest mesh router. My Sonos S2 app sees the Amp. Trying to set it up it fails. I spent 20-30 minutes on hold with the support and got through. They tell me that I need to connect on a 2.4 GHz band… But there is not a setting for this in my Google Home app for the network settings… I’m physically plugged into the router, dang it!

My S2 sees the Amp but refuses to complete the setup/registration of the device.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

What is the error message?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

“They tell me that I need to connect on a 2.4 GHz band…”

I believe they are talking about your controller’s device connection to your WiFi.

You are connecting to the main router, not one of the extensions?

Do you have any filtering. security or other things on your network that might be blocking Sonos from connecting home to their servers? I had to tweak a couple settings here.

What is the error message?

None. Just can’t connect please try again or call support. No error codes, nothing.

“They tell me that I need to connect on a 2.4 GHz band…”

I believe they are talking about your controller’s device connection to your WiFi.

You are connecting to the main router, not one of the extensions?

Do you have any filtering. security or other things on your network that might be blocking Sonos from connecting home to their servers? I had to tweak a couple settings here.

Ugh. I tried everything I could.

Sonos tech tells me that the Google routers broadcast with the 2.4 and 5 GHz signals with the same name/password. I need to somehow force it [the google router] to broadcast only in 2.4 GHz so the Sonos WIFI can connect… 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I wish you luck fighting with the Google gear.

I looked at several of these mesh systems and decided to go with Ubiquity APs for my wireless needs and wiring all easy to connect Sonos then using Sonosnet for connecting my un-wired to Ethernet Sonos devices.

Maybe simplify things as much as possible to start? Turn odd all the Google gear except the main hub. Power down all but one Sonos main speaker (not a Sub or Surround) that can be wired to your hub.

With the Ethernet connection and your controller hooked to the hub it is about as clean as you can get it, try setting up from there.

Only other thing I can think of to check is that you aren’t a guest on the WiFi and that Client Isolation isn’t enabled.

I wish you luck fighting with the Google gear.

I looked at several of these mesh systems and decided to go with Ubiquity APs for my wireless needs and wiring all easy to connect Sonos then using Sonosnet for connecting my un-wired to Ethernet Sonos devices.

Maybe simplify things as much as possible to start? Turn odd all the Google gear except the main hub. Power down all but one Sonos main speaker (not a Sub or Surround) that can be wired to your hub.

With the Ethernet connection and your controller hooked to the hub it is about as clean as you can get it, try setting up from there.

Only other thing I can think of to check is that you aren’t a guest on the WiFi and that Client Isolation isn’t enabled.

Stanley, I’ll go get me a whole case of beer and do this on a rainy weekend. For now, I’ll focus on the other new-house-chores. Sonos isn’t exactly on my high-priority list… I was hoping at least this part would be painless… nope! :)