Skip to main content

How to change Sonos Era 100 on Wifi channel 44 (5GHz) to WiFi channel 1/6/11 (2.4GHz)?

• 13 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi!

My new Sonos Era 100 is on Wifi channel 44 (5GHz) and my older Sonos Five is on WiFi channel 11 (2.4GHz) or Ethernet UTP cable. I do not own any other Sonos speakers. According to Sonos chat support, the speakers being on different wifi channels is the cause of the speakers being randomly ungrouped during playing music or Netflix audio through Bluetooth. Suddenly the audio content will only play on one of the speakers. Very annoying. According to Sonos chat support, I can't put the speakers in the same room to prevent ungrouping, because they are not the same type of speakers. 

How can I set both speakers on the same wifi channel? (channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4GHz)? 

Preferably by keeping my current auto select 2.4GHz/5Ghz. I do not enjoy two separate networks. 

Hopefully you can assist me! 

Any (creative) solutions are welcome :-)

Regards

Hi, not sure I'm going to be of much help but I have a Sonos Era 300 on 5GHz WiFi which is currently grouped with a pair of Fives which are on 2.4GHz SonosNet. They are playing fine so far (hope I didn't speak too soon). So doesn't seem to be an issue with the one set on Sonosnet and the other on WiFi. I don't think you should need to try to put them both on the same WiFi channel. Did you say your Five is wired into your router? 

I’m suspecting something else is the problem. I just checked my system and I have SONOS units on channels 11, 44, 60, and 157. Some routers don’t automatically allow 2.4 and 5GHz segments to share data. If this is the case for your router, you’ll need to change this default or force assignment with separate 2.4 and 5GHz SSID’s.

And, one of the ERA 300’s is using the wired USB adapter network connection.

Hi! Thank you for your replies!

The day after I posted my question, I figured I could maybe force the Era 100 to go to the 2,4GHz network. I did this by turning off the 5Ghz, reset network settings in Sonos app, and then saw it was indeed connected to the 2,4GHz network. Then I turned my 5GHz network back on. And since then, my Era 100 is still connected to the 2,4GHz network. I tricked it :-)

Unfortunately, this did not solve my grouping problem. The speakers still randomly un-group, although less frequently.