Skip to main content

My system is built around the original BRIDGE controller and the Play 5 Gen 1 and has since added Play 1’s, Play 3’s, and a Playbar - all before S2 but upgradable. In 2020, I added a Move and downgraded it to be S1 compatible.  I don’t use voice command stuff and basically use the system for music.  It’s worked great

I recently bought 3 more MOVES for outdoor use.  Before I downgrade them all to be S1 compatible to use with my current system I want to confirm I can upgrade them back to S2 if/when my Play 5 dies or no longer functions. 

Yes you can - the Sonos Move is S1/S2 compatible - here’s a link to a full list showing you which devices are S1 or S2 compatible only and the products which can be added to either S1 or S2 at any stage.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-s2-compatibility

Oddly, the FAQ on the sales page says the Move is S2 only.

I sense a dichotomy;)

Hmmmm…🤔?

That needs clarifying then…

My understanding is the Move is compatible with both S1 and S2 but would come with S2 preloaded and need an existing S1 system to already be in place to allow it to be changed to S1 and added to it.

My understanding is the Move is compatible with both S1 and S2 but would come with S2 preloaded and need an existing S1 system to already be in place to allow it to be changed to S1 and added to it.

Yep, that’s now my understanding too, thanks @sjw🙏

The Move Gen 2 is coming next month, which will be S2-only, so the docs have likely been updated a bit early.

Even then though, the list would differentiate between generations?  As it's not been officially announced yet, I'd be surprised they had updated yet though.