Skip to main content

Today my system decided it could no longer see my SONOS Five (note not a Play 5 - this has a mute button, not a play/pause one).  On trying to get that back in I lost my ZP120.  The android phone app appears incapable of seeing/recognising these devices and at best it sees them as the newer versions with the Play/Pause button but even with pretending this is the case the app can not hand shake with them.  Net result I am now down two devices with no apparent way of getting them back.

I have tried disconnecting the power and then powering back up while holding the mute button, but this does little now aside from putting the device in to handshake mode with an app which can’t handle the handshake.

Are you using S1 or S2?

The Five is only compatible with an S2 system. The ZP120 is only compatible with an S1 system. So they need to be run on two different systems.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-s2-compatibility

Are you sure it is a Five, not a Play 5 (gen 2)? A Five is S2 only, which would mean you should have had an S1 and an S2 system side by side all along. The Play 5 (gen 2) is also S1 capable, so could have been part of an S1 system with the ZP120.

Play 5 (gen 2)’s will sometimes have a faulty wifi card. Could you try to set up the speaker wired to your router, just to check if this is the case?

Could the Play 5 (gen 2) be inadvertently be upgraded to S2 and so be in need of a downgrade?