Skip to main content

Ethernet

• 27 June 2024
  • 4 replies

If my era 300 is attached to a Wi-Fi booster disc will it be running on Wi-Fi or Ethernet? I would have thought Ethernet but as the booster is not connected to the router via Ethernet I do wonder. It is one of the Bt booster discs.

Colin

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

In general the distinction is made between the connection to the Sonos device itself. If it has a wire going into the back then it’s on Ethernet, if not it’s Wi-fi (if you ignore the fact that Bluetooth is also another option on some models!).

Unfortunately, Sonos products often don’t get on well with Wi-fi boosters, probably due to the extra latency that they can add. This doesn’t seem to be a hard-and-fast rule though - I have tried one in the past and the system worked - but it didn’t work very well...

Badge +1

Thank you. The better option then would be to use a direct connection to the router or at lease a direct connection via power line adapters? My hope is that an ethernet connection might help alleviate the problems I am getting with the S2 app on iOS. My wifi speed around the speaker is good enough - around 300mbps but still Apple Music drops out or does not perform as it should.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Yes - my own experience is that hardwiring to Ethernet may help if you are getting dropouts. Powerline adapters may not be ideal, but I can recall others here having used them with success.

Badge +1

Thanks. I use power line with Sky Glass and it streams flawlessly so def worth a shot. Getting a direct line from the router is something of a difficult engineering task - not impossible but def a last resort. If only apple would get Spacial Audio working with Air Play - I would not even bother with the Sonos app then,