Answered

Era 300 pair with Sub Mini = Less Bass?

• 6 May 2023
  • 4 replies

Just picked up a pair of Era 300s with the Sub Mini for music listening only in my living room.  I got the sub thinking it was just a given that I would need it.  However, I find that I actually get more and better bass performance without the sub from just the stereo pair of the 300s.  I was very surprised at this but after A/B testing with and without the sub, I’m getting better bass without it.  Anyone else have this combo?  I’m thinking I may return the sun to save some cash.

icon

Best answer by Kazaria 7 May 2023, 00:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi

Try this in this order: 

- Try to place your sub in different areas of the room

- Run truplay

- try to crank a bit bass volume on the sub in equaliser settings

Hope it will help

Badge

I own a beam 2,era 100, & sub mini. Yes the sub placed in different locations or corner will help. I did notice with my sub turned on that it will decrease some bass output to my speakers as well. If I turn my sun up on the app then it will sound better though at lower volume on the sub you will notice a decrease from your speakers 

We humans are so silly. If frequency response is peaked in the 120Hz range many listeners will feel that bass has been boosted. I’ve seen manufacturers of low and some mid quality units provide a “bass boost” function that actually cuts low bass while boosting the 120Hz range. This reduces the power required while satisfying the listener’s need for more bass. While it may not seem fair, a less powerful unit may seem to have more bass. However, this faux “bass boost” will not have the same visceral effect of more deep bass energy.

In the end, only you will know what sounds “best” (for you).

Yes the sub mini seems to make the era 300s as a pair less bassy. I’ve tried in different locations. I think it’s just how they have been tuned with the dsp. Maybe an update will fix this. I’ve redeployed my mini in to the bedroom with mt beam ge 2 and play 1s as rears. sounds nuts.