Answered

Era 300 on 5ghz WIFI

• 20 May 2023
  • 6 replies

Hello!

Bought an Era 300 yesterday and noticed that it (and my S1s) are all connected to my 2.4 band instead of 5ghz. I believe they are all 5ghz compatible. 

Does anybody know if I can force them onto the 5ghz?

I have google nest hubs which are dual band 2.4 and 5. I only ask as I find a bit of a lag or pause when playing the next song with Amazon Music (I find their whole integration is pretty slow, especially compared to the excellent Deezer integration).

Thanks,

Craig

icon

Best answer by Corry P 22 May 2023, 11:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @craigus111 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

The only way you can “force” the speakers onto 5Ghz would be to separate the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands so their SSIDs (broadcasted network names) are different, and only letting Sonos know the credentials for 5GHz. I’m not sure if this is possible on Google Nest devices.

If, however, the bands are combined, then the speakers and router should be negotiating which band they should be on - 2.4GHz if the range is high and 5GHz if the 5GHz signal is strong enough (5GHz has a lower range) - this is called Band Steering and may be needed to be enabled in the Nest settings.

There’s more info here: https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/6293481

For advice specific to your Sonos system and network, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Thank Corry. So it sounds like one speaker might just be out of optimum range and causing the rest to match it?

All good. I'll either need to start running cables everywhere, buy (even more) access points or live with it. I'm sticking with option 3 for now.

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @craigus111 

One speaker connecting to 2.4GHz would not in any way affect which band the other speakers connect to - they’ll each make up their own minds, independent of each other.

If you ever find you have the time to do so, I think you would find a call to our technical support team of value.

I hope this helps.

The only way you can “force” the speakers onto 5Ghz would be to separate the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands so their SSIDs (broadcasted network names) are different, and only letting Sonos know the credentials for 5GHz. I’m not sure if this is possible on Google Nest devices.

Does Google not allow MAC filtering on wireless bands?  I can setup a filter to reject specific MAC addresses on the 2.4gHz band, which then makes them join the 5gHz band.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @cpachris 

Good question - not as far as I can gather with a quick search, but I’d need to look at the settings pages to be sure. My assumption would be that only fairly expensive routers mostly meant for commercial use will have this capability.

Hi @cpachris 

Good question - not as far as I can gather with a quick search, but I’d need to look at the settings pages to be sure. My assumption would be that only fairly expensive routers mostly meant for commercial use will have this capability.

ASUS typically has per-band access control. Useful for ensuring that only Sonos HT master players are allowed to connect to 2.4GHz.