Skip to main content
Question

Era 300 as stereo pair

I do have a beam 2 , sub min and 2 x Era 300 which I replaced with 2 x Era 100.

I can’t say I like to listen to music when my setup for ERA300 is combined with my beam 2 and sub mini.

On weekends I try to listen to good music and pair 2 x 300 as stereo.

When I do that, I use apple music via Sonos app.

This is where it starts to suck big time.

When I start a music, I hear only sound from the right side , about after 10-15 seconds left side also starts but one side drops all the time and comes back.

When I switch to another track, one side is continuing with the previous song and the other side moves to the next song and about a few seconds later they meet somewhere.

Every time you change the music and push the button on the app it takes time to move to the next song and above mentioned issues happens every time. Even when I change the volume it doesn’t react immediately only after a few second.

Don’t know if I am doing something wrong and if anyone else facing same issues but ERA 300 as stereo pair just sucks !

They are definitely not worth the money if this can't be fixed

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

My Era 300 stereo pair now work fine. They are in a location with the worse wifi signal in my home, and on a few occasions before I moved my router I’d get a speaker dropout or skipped tracks. Since the router move, all seems fine. 

It’s odd they play up when the HT system is ok. Is that wireless too, or wired? 

Have you tried setting your wifi signal to fixed channels rather then an auto setting where it jumps around? What WiFi system are you using?

Badge

I do have a standard wifi and the location is actually at the highest point 

My stereo pair Era 300 is finally operational. They are situated in the area of my house with the worst wifi coverage, and before I changed my router, I occasionally experienced speaker dropouts or tunes skipping. It seems to be working since the router moved.

They act strangely when the HT system is functioning properly. Is that wired or wifi as well?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I own a pair of Era 300's.

Since the app update I had a lot of system crippling issues, wich I managed to resolve by turning off 5 ghz in my router settings. Since working only on a 2.4 ghz network, they have been stable and functional.

When I first got them I just joined them as a room and not as a stereopair. I was surprised audio quality was actually worse compared to listening to a single Era 300. I decided to join them as a stereo pair, even though they where positioned on opposite ends of the room. I immediately noticed a lot of improvement. I suspect that when you join speakers in a room in the common way, the speakers do not know what type of speakers they are joining forces with and all speakers play a 'safe' audio profile weaker speakers can handle as well.

I see you own a sub mini. Did you compare the Era 300's as a stereo pair with and without sub? I consider getting a sub myself, but ive also read that it compromises the audio quality (loss of natural warmth and male voice bottom end) because of a sub optimal crossover. Im curious about your experience.

Badge

My stereo pair Era 300 is finally operational. They are situated in the area of my house with the worst wifi coverage, and before I changed my router, I occasionally experienced speaker dropouts or tunes skipping. It seems to be working since the router moved.

They act strangely when the HT system is functioning properly. Is that wired or wifi as well?

don't have a router, ERA 300s are in the same room where my modem is and don't have any issues connect to wifi but still have above issues 

Badge

I own a pair of Era 300's.

Since the app update I had a lot of system crippling issues, wich I managed to resolve by turning off 5 ghz in my router settings. Since working only on a 2.4 ghz network, they have been stable and functional.

When I first got them I just joined them as a room and not as a stereopair. I was surprised audio quality was actually worse compared to listening to a single Era 300. I decided to join them as a stereo pair, even though they where positioned on opposite ends of the room. I immediately noticed a lot of improvement. I suspect that when you join speakers in a room in the common way, the speakers do not know what type of speakers they are joining forces with and all speakers play a 'safe' audio profile weaker speakers can handle as well.

I see you own a sub mini. Did you compare the Era 300's as a stereo pair with and without sub? I consider getting a sub myself, but ive also read that it compromises the audio quality (loss of natural warmth and male voice bottom end) because of a sub optimal crossover. Im curious about your experience.

actually that was also my intention to listen to a pair of ERA 300 with and without sub mini.

I tried many times , I also connected the sub mini to the stereo pair but it was so annoying that when I was trying to listen to a few different songs to compare them , I had always the issues that I mentioned above. 

for example you are listening to a song without sub mini , later on you connect sub min but you have only sound coming from the right side and in the middle of the song it comes also form the left side.

it is not that I connect the sub to the stereo pair. even without sub and if you change the song one side is quite or continues with the previous song where the other side moves to the next song 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

These are classic symptoms of wifi communication issues. As @Marco000 suggests, try turning off your 5GHz network, at least as a temporary fix. Some routers pass data more or less effectively across the two network bands. The demands Sonos places on networks - trying to stream continuous data packets across two hopping channels - is a challenge. Also, have your 2.4GHz channel set  fixed to one of channels 1, 6 or 11. It can also help if you set ip addresses for the speakers, so as to avoid any possibility of duplicate ip addresses.

Badge

These are classic symptoms of wifi communication issues. As @Marco000 suggests, try turning off your 5GHz network, at least as a temporary fix. Some routers pass data more or less effectively across the two network bands. The demands Sonos places on networks - trying to stream continuous data packets across two hopping channels - is a challenge. Also, have your 2.4GHz channel set  fixed to one of channels 1, 6 or 11. It can also help if you set ip addresses for the speakers, so as to avoid any possibility of duplicate ip addresses.

thanks but easy said than done , don't know how to change all the things you are saying 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

What make and model is your router? 

Badge

What make and model is your router? 

don't use a router just the modem from the service provider.

modem is placed in my living room as well as the ERA 300

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

What make and model is your modem? Does it also create the wifi signal, or are you using something else? Who is the provider? 

Badge

well I am at work right now need to check when I get back home but this is the same modem that I connected wirelessly my beam 2 , Apple TV ,my TV , iPad and both of my laptops as well and have no issues with them so far 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Is the Beam also connected on wifi, or is it connected by Ethernet cable?

Badge

Is the Beam also connected on wifi, or is it connected by Ethernet cable?

yes, beam also connected on wifi , no ethernet cable