Answered

Era 100 pair - line input delay

• 18 April 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge

I’m trying to use the line inputs to output from an electric piano and the delay is unusable. I have it set at 75ms and compressed audio

Is there a way around this? 

icon

Best answer by jgatie 18 April 2023, 03:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

No.  The delay is the buffer required when grouping for multi-room play.   Bottom line - Sonos is not suitable for live performance applications.

Note that this delay is part of the Sonos software, and has nothing to do with the Era 100s specifically.

Badge

I understand. I still find the advertising to be deceptive.

I would have preferred one set of speakers that could be utilised with both my Sonos Beam and my piano.

My old Play5 was very low latency and would have done the job,

Anyway, these will be returned and I’ll get something else more suitable.

I would have preferred one set of speakers that could be utilised with both my Sonos Beam and my piano.

Your old Play:5 had the exact same delay.  It’s been a 75 ms buffer since the very first ZonePlayers back in 2005.  If you sensed no delay back then, then nothing should have changed for the new devices. 

Badge

Your old Play:5 had the exact same delay.  It’s been a 75 ms buffer since the very first ZonePlayers back in 2005.  If you sensed no delay back then, then nothing should have changed for the new devices. 

I see, back then I was using a TV headphone out into the Play5 and latency was liveable next to the picture. Just tried it with the Era 100 and it is also liveable for video.

Hi I am using Sona 5 gen 1 speakers. I am using 2speakers stereo mode.when I connected my LG TV to the to line in the sound is little delay is not perfect sync. Sound 5 seconds delay to the picture and sound.

Any analog line in, on any Sonos device, will have a minimum delay of 75ms, and depending on other settings, possibly more. This not only allows the transformation from analog to digital, but allows the Sonos system to buffer enough data to allow the signal to play across multiple connected rooms on a 2.4Ghz network. There is no way to avoid this delay.