Effectiveness of Trueplay and ERA 300

• 11 October 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hi All - I would appreciate some thoughts, comments or indeed advice of the effectiveness of Trueplay in its current iteration.

I use a couple of Era 300s purely for music listening . Two set up as a stereo pair in one room and a single in another room.

Initially I bought the pair to start off with and setup with Trueplay before listening to them. They were just placed on top of  a pair of  sturdy side tables pretty much equidistant from the listening position and below ear level. They sounded fine.  The pair was hooked up to a mini sub.

However , I had a real problem with the single unit which is in the bedroom.  The 300 was below ear level placed on a side table ; again centrally placed in relation to the listening position but after numerous goes with Trueplay it still sounded quite unbalanced with a loss in the treble  and voices sounded muffled; sounded squashed in . I tried to position the speaker in different orientations but no joy. 

Decided to get a dedicated stand with a variable height option and increased the height. With Trueplay enabled  it now sounded much better but not the same as a stereo pair but that was understandable. 

Being curious, I switched off  Trueplay and was very surprised that the higher frequencies were much clearer and sharper and less congested.  I started hearing cymbals etc which wasn’t clear with Trueplay enabled. The sound was definitely more preferable for me. Trueplay sounded as if it was filtering the high frequencies far too much.

I had similar outcomes with the stereo pair so Trueplay is switched off in that set up too.

I read  a review of the Era 300s singly and as a stereo pair...The reviewer in his set up is pretty much is how mine have been setup with similar results .  He also intimated that Sonos engineers are still tweaking the Trueplay software as it wasn’t quite the finished article at this stage. 

Im not sure Trueplay may have been tweaked with the various updates but in my setups , better to have have it switched off.

Trueplay maybe still needs tweakingy .

Anyone has similar experiences ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The Era 300 can be tuned through two Trueplay methods: via an iPhone or iPad or through the microphone in the speaker. Whichj method did you use?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Agree that the Era 300 can done the both ways for Trueplay but if you hook up a sub to it , then you can only do it via the iphone/Ipad.   I did try several times over with an iphone and Ipad but the results were as noted in my earlier post.