Answered

Dolby Atmos on ERA 300 with videos?

• 16 April 2023
  • 9 replies

All of the discussions I have read about Dolby Atmos on the ERA 300 have related to streamed Music. I need to know if it would support Dolby Atmos from movies played via a Mac or Apple TV 4K

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 16 April 2023, 17:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7

Only if two of them are used as surrounds with a Sonos Arc or Sonos Beam (Gen 2).

Thanks for the reply. I will just carry on with my Apple speakers. That’s disappointing though. ☹️

Why is thay though? I mean is there a technical limitation for dolby atmos content, or is it a commercial / product issue?

Why is thay though? I mean is there a technical limitation for dolby atmos content, or is it a commercial / product issue?

Simple.  There is no way to get the signal from the TV to the Era 300’s because the Era 300’s have no HDMI-ARC input.  Only the Sonos Arc/Beam Gen 2 have the HDMI-ARC input necessary for Atmos and at this time there is no way to transmit the Atmos TV signal via wireless.  

Sure, but what is preventing them from integrating video streaming services like they intgrated music streaming services? The audio channel would arrive to Sonos over wifi and the vido channell will go to the tv...

Sure, but what is preventing them from integrating video streaming services like they intgrated music streaming services? The audio channel would arrive to Sonos over wifi and the vido channell will go to the tv...

According to reports, that’s exactly what Sonos is working on.  Unfortunately, it’s not as easy as waving a magic wand, and the TV manufacturer’s need to be included for a truly integrated and seamless implementation.

https://www.techweekmag.com/news/speakers/sonos-plans-to-get-rid-of-the-hdmi-cable-to-connect-its-soundbars/

Thank you so much for your answers.

Seems its just a matter of time. I guess i'll wait :)

P.s they dont need everyone onboard, just the major video streaming services first, to adapt their smarttv/streamer applications, and sonos part to support streaming the audio (like streaming music).

Thank you so much for your answers.

Seems its just a matter of time. I guess i'll wait :)

P.s they dont need everyone onboard, just the major video streaming services first, to adapt their smarttv/streamer applications, and sonos part to support streaming the audio (like streaming music).

Synching the audio with the video is the hard part, and they’d need the display unit to somehow communicate wirelessly with the audio unit to accomplish this.  Right now, CEC and the HDMI protocol take care of the sync over HDMI-ARC.  Without HDMI-ARC, with wireless being a far less stable connection than a direct cable link, there would need to be some buffering and/or timing cooperation between the audio and video devices in order to maintain sync (similar to what Sonos does to sync audio between multiple rooms).

Thats interesting. I can understand the problem in synching this.

Another option is to do it within the streaming protocol i guess, which could have beacons or markers to synchronize the time and solve it with buffering.

they could probably also use sound waves, as the era300 has microphones. (Similar to how th app/smartphone detecs the sonos in the furst setup)