Answered

Dolby Atmos on Era 300 when connected via ethernet

• 4 November 2023
  • 5 replies

Could anyone tell me if you can stream Apple Music Dolby Atmos tracks through the Sonos app to a pair of Era 300s (stereo pair) when they are connected to the internet via the Sonos dongle and an ethernet connection?

I have read that this is only possible when the Era 300 are connected via WiFi, which seemed odd to me, but I can’t find any documentation on this.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 4 November 2023, 15:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Yes you can, the 100MB/s Ethernet connection is just a type of link to the LAN - if it works for WiFi, it will work for the wired connection too. Just stream from Apple, or Amazon, Music services in the Sonos App to play Atmos audio on the stereo pair.

Thank you Ken_Griffiths, much appreciated.  Sorry to be a muppet, but just to confirm, that is playing to Era 300 connected via ethernet?

‘The Polo’ Sonos room shown in the screenshot is an Era 300 stereo pair, but only the left speaker is/was cabled to the LAN using the Sonos combo dongle (I don’t have two dongles), but I don’t see why wiring both will make a difference. Maybe try it and see (if you have two of the combo dongles)?

Thank you. I suspect you are correct. I haven’t purchased yet, this was just something I wanted to check before buying. I want cable them as I have had issues wi the wireless in my house and I try and cable as much devices as a I can. 

I really appreciate you replying and helping out, thank you. 

Here is the link to the Sonos combo adapter that you will need for each Era-300.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/sonos-combo-adapter

Hope that assists.