Answered

Create a system with Sonos one SL & play 5 1st gen

• 11 August 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi,

I bought 2 one SL and I would like to link them with my play 5 1st gen.

I try to upgrade the play 5 and it was not possible. Do you know if it is possible ? 

I trry to downgrade the One SL and it was not possible. Do you know if it is possible ? 

Any idea on how to create one system ? 

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Mr. T 11 August 2023, 14:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

Hello,

Unfortunately you can’t create one system. The Play:5 (Gen1) is S1 compatible only, whilst new One SL’s can only be added to S2

See Sonos compatibility for S1 and S2 apps

If you were able to purchase 2nd hand One SL’s that were on S1 then you could create one system, but trying to find One SL’s that meet that criteria may be difficult.

Many thanks for your quick answer. If I buy a play 5 2nd gen. It can be good ?

I need a tool or a software to link my one sl and my computer to project movies (meaning without time lapse). 

Userlevel 7

Yes, a Play:5 (Gen2) will work with the S1 app.

The PLAY:5/Five’s analog input will always have a minimum of a 75ms delay, mostly for allowing buffering so the line in can be played in sync in all grouped rooms. 

If you’re looking for a Sonos speaker without ‘time lapse’ for use with a video device (projector, computer, TV set), you’d need to move to a Sonos Ray (optical digital connection), Sonos Beam or Sonos Arc (HDMI ARC/eARC connection).

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If you get the newer Sonos make sure you activate the 30% discount on the old one first.