Answered

Constant app problems

• 22 February 2024
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hopefully this forum can help improve the uselessness of my Sonos products. I have an Era 100 (recent) and Sonos Play (had a couple of years), and constantly annoyed at the app trying to load and find my system.

Then go through the hassle of it finding my system as well as a neighbours. Once selecting my system and it’s working, Alexa and hey Sonos don’t work. Occasionally Alexa does, but mostly not. All I get is Sonos is having trouble connecting to your music provider. Oddly, the Sonos one Alexa works reasonably well, but sometimes plays something completely different to what you asked her to. 

I have the S2 app  it didn’t notice any difference is ease of operation. Not impressed by the sound quality either, hoped the Era 100 would be better but apparently not. 

Any help troubleshooting would be welcome.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 22 February 2024, 20:35

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I’m puzzled why you see your and your neighbour’s system. Are they on the same network?

Many issues for folk here have been resolved with a router and speakers shutdown, a few minutes wait and then a phased restart. Get the router going first and wait till the wifi is up and running. Then restart speakers one at a time. It’s a good idea at this stage to set reserved ip addresses - if you don’t know how someone here can probably talk you through it. 
Try this first and see how it goes. 

Badge

My neighbours are not on the same network, unless they have hacked into it! Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll look into your process at the weekend, but I still find it very annoying in this plug and play generation, Sonos don’t/can’t! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

My neighbours are not on the same network, unless they have hacked into it! Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll look into your process at the weekend, but I still find it very annoying in this plug and play generation, Sonos don’t/can’t! 

Not sure why you are seeing their system then. 
By the way, hopefully we can improve the usefulness of your system, rather than its uselessness!

Indeed, as long as your controller is connected to your WiFi, and not your neighbors, you should only be seeing your own Sonos system. Unless, of course, your neighbor has set up their Sonos system on your WiFi signal. 

I’d certainly encourage you to add a password to your WiFi. And make sure your controller device isn’t connecting to their WiFi. 

Badge

My WiFi is password protected, although it may be time to change it and see what the result is. Thanks.

If you can see your neighbor’s Sonos while on your WiFi, or he can see yours, it’s absolutely time to change passwords.

The Sonos controller must be on the same subnet as the speakers are. That means, if you or anyone else can see/control multiple systems, the Sonos systems are on your WiFi.