connection problem

• 10 November 2023
  • 7 replies

I have  two sonos ones,a sub 3rd gen  in living room plus two play 1s that don't connect to this system 

these did but my sub is showing 5540 MHz all the rest are 2422.

my play 1s won't connect to this system now.

I also use a sub 2nd gen with era 100,plus two ones in a bedroom but different system, these play 1s connect no problem to bedroom !! ..

I have a wifi booster in living room to connect wifi to adapter in bedroom,sonos works no problem but play 1s now don't connect  in living room sub  or connect to wifi..

any advice would be great as play 1s connect to bedroom sub but not living room, have tried without boosters and reset speakers...man from sonos says reset router and build new system  ???

or shall I connect everything to 1 system then move whatever speakers and sub to bedroom ,just want sub and speakers in 2 rooms.

or what's the best way to build 2 systems on 1 wifi ???

sorry if seems confusing and any help will be appreciated

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

I would take the advice of the Sonos Staff and just have the one system. Select what you see as the best system and then factory reset the other products and add them to that system. Also note though that Sonos do not officially support wireless extenders, albeit some may work. but they can sometimes create different MAC addresses for attached devices and cause communication problems between Sonos devices. You would be far better off with a proper mesh WiFi network instead. For now though ensure all the extenders are broadcasting the same SSIDs and use the same credentials and channels/channel-width. I suggest using either channel 1, 6 or 11 for all 2.4Ghz adapters and a channel-width of 20Mhz only. Set the 5Ghz band adapters to the same channel too eg. Ch36, or higher, and leave that at 20/40/80Mhz

If problems do occur, then maybe try wiring one Sonos device to the main router and switch the majority over to SonosNet and set the SonosNet channel to a completely different channel to the one chosen for the router. Also set the wired product well away from the router, at least one metre away.

thanks ken for reply

what I mean as my system is two sonos ones+3rd gen sub….2 play 1s can't connect in living room.

I have a wifi extender in router connected in living room.

that connects to booster in bedroom that …. has

1 sub,2 sonos ones,Era 100, but extender when connected has different ssid on boosters….should it be same as router in living room as same name ??

also why is the 3rd gen sub a different mhz as its showing 5540MHZ compared to everything else as they are all on 2422mhz ??

booster is so that when I come into bedroom I use speakers and sub on different SSID,

then can use other sonos in living room on routers SSID 

sorry to be a pest all help will be appreciated

thanks

ps the play 1s connect to bedroom easily on 2nd gen sub that is2422mhz

used to connect easily to sub in living room 3rd gen but not connecting now…

hope this isn't confusing anyone

thanks

thanks ken for reply

what I mean as my system is two sonos ones+3rd gen sub….2 play 1s can't connect in living room.

I have a wifi extender in router connected in living room.

that connects to booster in bedroom that …. has

1 sub,2 sonos ones,Era 100, but extender when connected has different ssid on boosters….should it be same as router in living room as same name ??

Yes, to use all your devices in the same Sonos System you are best to have the same SSID’s - it’s not entirely necessary, but I would suggest to try that. The channels and channel-width should be the same too. The most important part is it needs to be the same network subnet with just the one DHCP server for the system to work. Please note though that Sonos do not ‘officially’ support wireless extenders, as stated in the Sonos requirements here: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-system-requirements

also why is the 3rd gen sub a different mhz as its showing 5540MHZ compared to everything else as they are all on 2422mhz ??

This is normal operation the Sub does not use the local WiFi during operation, it is bonded to your speakers and connects over a 5Ghz ad-hoc connection to the speaker.

booster is so that when I come into bedroom I use speakers and sub on different SSID,

then can use other sonos in living room on routers SSID 

sorry to be a pest all help will be appreciated

thanks

ps the play 1s connect to bedroom easily on 2nd gen sub that is2422mhz

used to connect easily to sub in living room 3rd gen but not connecting now…

hope this isn't confusing anyone

thanks

Not confusing at all, you’re just complicating things with your ‘unsupported’ wireless extenders and different SSID’s. I think you can probably simplify the setup and have one system only, or even revert to using SonosNet. Better still consider getting a WiFi mesh system instead, as that type of setup is mentioned as being supported by the Sonos requirements.

thanks for advice had sonos for years with relative ease, just those play 1s stopped last Saturday and system not been same was going to go down  the mesh system or just buy the sonos boost as have many sonos products, but the sonos boost I think ill purchase just specifically for sonos,then later go down mesh system for wifi….its distance from this room as routers in living room and poor signal here due to concrete walls, least with sonos boost that will solve sonos I think…..

then mesh for the wifi 

thanks again

thanks for advice had sonos for years with relative ease, just those play 1s stopped last Saturday and system not been same was going to go down  the mesh system or just buy the sonos boost as have many sonos products, but the sonos boost I think ill purchase just specifically for sonos,then later go down mesh system for wifi….its distance from this room as routers in living room and poor signal here due to concrete walls, least with sonos boost that will solve sonos I think…..

then mesh for the wifi 

thanks again

You don’t need a Boost if you can wire a Sonos main product (not Sub) to your main router - just set the wired product at least one metre away from the router and set its channel as mentioned in my earlier post.

I should also just mention that Era and portable Sonos devices do not support wireless SonosNet. 

hi

just to let you know

I spent 2 weeks still trying to solve this issue ….

countless phone calls .live chats etc which sonos are very good with still wasn't resolved until !!!!

eventually got play 1s connected to 3rd gen sub with 2 ones… play 1s were showing on system after an update but no sound tried ethernet etc …. rebooted router, reset app, reset speakers… still no connection ?!

I took play1s to bedroom system, connected in seconds to 1st Gen sub,2 eras BINGO !!!!

took 2 ones to living room SORTED …..

the play 1s don't CONNECT WITH 3RD  GEN SUB  thats the issue as running 5 MHz  old sub and everything else as 10 speakers are 2.4 MHz ….. just won't connect, changed channel, routers the lot

HAPPY ENDING BUT THANKS FOR ADVICE FROM YOU