Answered

connecting two sonos 5 to turntable

• 28 November 2022
  • 6 replies

Hello! I would like to find out the best recommended  connectors to connect two sonos 5 speakers to a record player with standard RCA jacks. any links to the correct connectors would be appreciated. 

I am using a U Turn record player and two sonos 5 speakers. 

icon

Best answer by buzz 28 November 2022, 00:29

View original

6 replies

You’ll need a conversion cable -- RCA male → 3.5mm stereo. Connect the Turntable’s preamp output to any FIVE’s Line-In jack.

You’re only connecting to one speaker’s line in, the other speaker will get the stereo signal from the first. 

In a stereo pair, the left speaker acts as the co-ordinator, so there is a small advantage in wiring the left speaker if practical.

Sorry just to clarify, because I’m considering the same set up; I’d use an RCA “Y” cable to connect a turntable to one Play:5, and if I have them set up as a stereo pair the second Play:5 would get the signal via the WiFi from the wired speaker? 

Or would I just use 2 phono to 3.5mm jack leads, one to each, L and R?

The second speaker would get its signal ‘wirelessly’ from the other speaker. You would not want to ‘split’ the wires into left and right, you’d want to feed the one speaker’s line in with stereo, and let the system distribute it for you. 

Sorry just to clarify, because I’m considering the same set up; I’d use an RCA “Y” cable to connect a turntable to one Play:5, and if I have them set up as a stereo pair the second Play:5 would get the signal via the WiFi from the wired speaker? 

Or would I just use 2 phono to 3.5mm jack leads, one to each, L and R?

The first.  You would use one stereo RCA to stereo 3.5mm cable and connect the RCA’s on the turntable to the 3.5mm Line-In on one of the Play:5s (preferably the left).