Connecting Sonos One to more than one phone

• 18 November 2023
  • 5 replies

Had our Sonos One for years and we’ve always been able to play songs through spotify on mine and wife’s phone with no issue.

A month or so back we had to unplug the One for a few hours due to building work on the room we have always kept it in, and therein started the issue/s. 

First off, we just couldn’t get the d*mn thing working again. Our phones apparently couldn’t find it as a device. The support team eventually helped us (we had to change the broadband setting on our Sky, and finally our phones “found” it).

The issue now, is that only one phone can find the One at any one time, and the only way to connect it, is through the Sonos app (whereas before, the device could be easily found in the spotify app and you could easily “take over” the speaker). If the system is connected to my phone, my wife would have to open the sonos app to try and find the speaker and it’s anybody’s guess as to whether or not it will work. Often it doesn’t, so we ask Alexa to play a certain song and this will work, but through the phone that is connected (even if that phone isn’t in the house). It’s such a pain and means we have to ask for specific songs or just give up completely. 

Any ideas?

It’s absolutely doing my head in and I’m considering buying a new speaker from Bose or another brand to be honest, even though there is nothing wrong sound-wise with the One. 

All apps and phones (android) are up to date. Thanks. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Reset the Sonos app

Then restart the app and choose to connect to an existing system. 

Thanks, we’ve tried that several times. Sometimes it finds the system, more often than not we get an error messaging saying the sonos and phone need to be on the same network (they are), and then there’s no further action we can take other than updating the network, which is correct and therefore doesn’t need to be updated. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

The Spotify App doesn't go through the Sonos App. 

I prefer using Spotify App on ours.

Sounds like the speaker is having problems connecting to the same SSID as your Phones.

Sorry not sure what you mean @Keithmac, we have our spotify account connected within the sonos app settings, and when the sonos app does work we can control spotify via the sonos app (if we want to - but we wouldn’t choose to do this). 

Either way, the spotify app isn’t picking up the device like it once did. Meaning we’re having to mess around with the sonos app trying to get it to identify the device, return to spotify, and then it will show as an option. 

Support advised I remove and reinstall the spotify app which seems to have sorted it