Cannot setup via Wifi

• 28 March 2021
  • 4 replies

Hello! I have a play 5 gen 2 speaker that simply will not connect to Wi-Fi. 

I have done everything I have read, then done multiple factory resets, and when I get to the point where I select the found Play 5 and then connect to the temporary network I get a message that says “UNABLE TO JOIN THE SONOS… network”. I have tried a million times. Unplugged routers, models, sonos...reset phone and the app etc. No luck. Works great if using Ethernet but doesn’t let me set up with Wi-Fi. 

I read some things saying to install with Ethernet then go to Advanced Settings and switch to Wi-Fi, but the Sonos 2 app has no such setting. 

Any ideas? Might I just need a replacement? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

According to your profile you have many different Sonos products.  Why are you setting up the Play:5s as a new system?

If using an iOS device for the setup, then try switching off ‘Private Address’ in the phone/tablets network connection settings - it can cause issues with ad-hoc temporary networks with the controller device connected to some routers… goto the iDevice Settings/Networking and you will see the option in the current network connection properties.

Another thing to check is that the routers 2.4Ghz WiFi is 802.11b/g/n compatible for the setup.

Thanks so much! Tried that but still no luck. :( I’m seriously at a loss. Always says it can’t connect to the Sonos network. 

Thanks so much! Tried that but still no luck. :( I’m seriously at a loss. Always says it can’t connect to the Sonos network. 

Are you able to get to your mobile device Network settings, when in the setup, to force the ‘Sonos’ (SSID) that appears in the network list to connect it manually?