Skip to main content

I have four Play:3 speakers and a Boost that have been working fine for years. Recently, I upgraded the app to the Sonos 2 version. Unfortunately, the new app does not see any of my speakers nor does it see the Boost. I have tried executing a factory reset, as recommended on a number of sites, on both the speakers and the Boost. In each case, the S2 app reports that the item has been successfully set up, only to have it lost as soon as go back to the main screen. It remains lost when I restart the app and when I restart the speaker. I have gone through the setup multiple times, trying to set up everything when they are near my wireless route, with no luck. When I plugged a speaker into the network via an Ethernet cable I was able to retain the settings, but as soon as it was unplugged they were lost again.

My network uses a password to connect. Could it be that the S2 app needs that password even though it is on my phone, which is on my network? I can’t even go back to the S1 app as it says that all of these items will work under S2 and not let me bypass this. So, after two days of working on this, I now have six very expensive bricks scattered around my house instead of a whole house sound system. My apologies for the rant, but this is very frustrating! Any help is appreciated.

The Factory Reset shot yourself in both feet and a knee. If you hadn’t done that you could unplug the Boost, wire one of your speakers to WiFi and just kept running. Optionally you could add your SSID and password and switch from the old SonosNet to the currently suggested WiFi connection mode.

Now your best bet is to unplug the Boost, wire one Sonos to Ethernet and go through the new install (since you wiped everything) setup to get back to a working (but no personal settings) system that you can add your services and playlists back to.

Hopefully this will work for you but I have seen a number of Play 3 problem posts here that you might need to look at if it doesn’t work.

@Stanley_4, thank you for the suggestion. I had tried this before, but tried it again based on your reply. The speaker set up correctly in the app when I had it wired into my Ethernet, but as soon as I unhooked the speaker to put it back where it needed to go, the S2 app showed that no products were found. Is there something that I need to do to switch the speaker from wired to wireless? They are useless to me if each of them have to be wired into the Internet directly.