Answered

Can i play my ipod through play 5 gen 1 via line in?

• 11 January 2023
  • 8 replies

I have aquired a play 5 gen 1 speaker and have the S1 app installed on my iPad, I thought I would try my iPod connected through the line in with line in selected in the app. There is no sound emerging so assumed if can’t be done until I noticed there were sound bar lines moving on the app as if it was playing. Am I missing something here?
thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 12 January 2023, 00:15

View original

8 replies

Forgot to state it is an iPod classic.

I don’t think you’re missing anything….but there are some issues to think about. First, the volume has to be up fairly substantially on that iPod. Sonos is looking for a ‘line level’ input, much as a CD or tape player would send out the back, and not a variable level such as a headphone jack sends out, normally. Once you’ve tied it down (I would start at at least 50% or even higher), then you’d need to mess with the line in settings on the Sonos controller. For what it’s worth, those bouncing lines you’re looking at don’t really mean anything, they’re essentially an indicator that something is plugged in, to my knowledge, they don’t actually track with the music coming in. 

Thanks, I don’t have a Sonos controller though just the S1 app on an iPad.

That ‘app’ is the controller I speak of. ;)

@Ashburnian,
Don’t forget to select the ‘line in’ icon at the bottom of the browse/music services tab whilst you have the Play:5 in focus on the ‘now playing’ screen - or otherwise choose to play to the Play:5 room using the autoplay options in the Play:5 room/line-in settings in the App.

There is even an FAQ here

My iPod now working through my Play 5. Thanks to everyone for your help, please do not underestimate how useful this community help is to an old git with little technical knowledge, please can I also ask if this music would transmit to other Sonos speakers if I had them or is line in restricted to the used speaker?
On to the next stage now to try and play iTunes via Wi-Fi stored on my old Windows 7 desktop.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

My iPod now working through my Play 5. Thanks to everyone for your help, please do not underestimate how useful this community help is to an old git with little technical knowledge, please can I also ask if this music would transmit to other Sonos speakers if I had them or is line in restricted to the used speaker?
On to the next stage now to try and play iTunes via Wi-Fi stored on my old Windows 7 desktop.

Yes, you can group other Sonos speakers/rooms to that with the Play:5 and all will hear the Line-in. 

You can even listen to streamed music on the Play:5 and the line-in source in a different room.