Skip to main content
Question

Can I have a playbar connected in the same house to Sonos app and Sonos S1?

• 19 June 2024
  • 4 replies

Hi everyone,

I have in my house a system with a playbar in the living room and other Sonos connect amp, play 5 and Sonos one around the house. Controller all of them with the app Sonos S1.

Today I bought 2 Sonos One (2nd generation) and a sub mini. The Sonos One can work with the Sonos app and the old Sonos S1 (like my old Sonos Playbar), and the sub mini works only with the Sonos app.

So I had thought to use the Sonos app to set up a system only for the living room, for the home theatre, with my old Playbar and the new Sonos One and the sub mini.

When I try to set up a new system it does not detect my playbar. Does it mean I have to delete from my existing system the playbar?

I hoped I could keep it there. So I want to watch a movie I just start the new Sonos app. And If I want to synchronise music around the house, I just start the old Sonos S1 app and control the playbar and the new Sonos One.

Can I do that?

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Yes you can have both apps working in he same house. That's what I am doing with my Play 5 and Connect on the S1 app and my Arc, sub, surrounds, Five and Connect S15 on the new app.

The S1 app will keep reminding you that the S2 app is available, but you can safely ignore that notification.

Thank you Pools-3015.

If I understood properly, you are using the same Play 5 in the new and old app. So my exact question is:

Can you have a speaker which is compatible for both apps setup in both? Of course not working at the same time... 

Yesterday when I tried to create a new system in my Sonos app it wasn't detecting anything in the house and I only saw a connect amp that I use in another house.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Can you have a speaker which is compatible for both apps setup in both? Of course not working at the same time... 

No, a device can only belong to a single “household”, and you will have one for your S1 gear and another for S2 gear. Never the twain shall meet.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Thank you Pools-3015.

If I understood properly, you are using the same Play 5 in the new and old app. So my exact question is:

No. I have a Play Five and a Connect in the S1 app. The S2, new app has the other speakers mentioned in my first answer. The other Connect S15 and Five are different devices that are controlled by the S2 app.

You cannot control a Sonos device by both apps. They have  to be either S1 or S2.