Buying Play:1 just to familiarize myself with the ecosystem - does that make sense? (what to pay attention to /software/hardware?)

• 3 January 2024
  • 16 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

I plan to buy multiroom audio system, but I am a novice in this area. Because the final project (several rooms) is going to take a significant budget, I would like to try it first with something cheap (Play:1 speaker).

I know that it is not a new model, so I wonder what kind of limitations I can expect - does the new application on Android will work? Do they still pull firmware upgrades for the speaker? Something else?

Thanks in advance!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Play:1 is compatible with the S2 system , you can control via the android app, and will get firmware upgrades.  You would an iphone to do tuning though.   If you are looking at features like voice control, connecting to TV, bluetooth, aux input, or atmos, then this won’t help you much.

Sonos does have a 45 day return policy, so it might make more sense to buy a current model to test out the features and see if it fits your needs.

Badge +1

If I read the information online correctly, the speaker sold by Ikea (Symfoniks gen 2) is based on Play:1 - this would ensure (if that is true) that Play:1 will be further supported to some extent :-)

Badge +1

One more question for Play:1 - what is used during initial setup with app - WiFi? BLE Bluetooth? I mean how the app is finding the speaker?

The PLAY:1 is ancient tech, in Sonos terms. At the time it was being manufactured, I don’t think BLE was a thing yet. My recommendation would be to initially set it up with an Ethernet cable to your router, then after it is set up, add the network information in the controller, disconnect the cable, and place it where you want in your WiFi network. 

If I read the information online correctly, the speaker sold by Ikea (Symfoniks gen 2) is based on Play:1 - this would ensure (if that is true) that Play:1 will be further supported to some extent :-)

I’m not sure what ‘based on’ really means here. I don’t think they share the same hardware in terms of the memory, processor, and wifi radio. I would expect the Symfoniks gen 2 lamp (assume you are talking about the lamp) is much more future proof than the play:1s are.

Badge +1

The PLAY:1 is ancient tech, in Sonos terms. At the time it was being manufactured, I don’t think BLE was a thing yet. My recommendation would be to initially set it up with an Ethernet cable to your router, then after it is set up, add the network information in the controller, disconnect the cable, and place it where you want in your WiFi network. 

Absolutely no, have seen shorts on YouTube, speakers connected only to supply during initial setup, so must be via BT or WiFi.

The PLAY:1 does not have any Bluetooth at all.

You want to know what the current Sonos muldoon system is like. And to do that, you are thinking of buying a single, old Sonos speaker?

That is plain daft. You should buy a couple of current speakers direct from Sonos (provided a long no quibble returns policy operates where you are based).

Not that there is much chance you will return them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Cheapest option for a new speaker would be the Symfonisk bookshelf.

Cheapest option for a new speaker would be the Symfonisk bookshelf.

Thanks , yes you are right. I  should have  picked up on that. It doesn't change my view though.  I would start with a couple of Era 100s.

I think that my main point is that you cannot get any sort of feel for the Sonos multiroom ecosystem with a single speaker of any kind.  If there are any aspects that seem like shortcomings on a Play:1 or Symfonisk, you won’t know if the same issues would arise on more recent speakers.  You won’t be able to explore grouping or stereo pairing.  Sound quality has improved.  Set up is different.  There is Airplay and voice control, including SVC.

This is a purely personal opinion, and others may strongly disagree, but this idea seems worse than pointless to me, when a much better, risk-free alternative exists. 

I think that my main point is that you cannot get any sort of feel for the Sonos multiroom ecosystem with a single speaker of any kind.  If there are any aspects that seem like shortcomings on a Play:1 or Symfonisk, you won’t know if the same issues would arise on more recent speakers.  You won’t be able to explore grouping or stereo pairing.  Sound quality has improved.  Set up is different.  There is Airplay and voice control, including SVC.

This is a purely personal opinion, and others may strongly disagree, but this idea seems worse than pointless to me, when a much better, risk-free alternative exists. 

Agreed for this.  You’re really only going to get a look at some of the features of the Sonos app with this approach, but not really the full functionality.  I know some people who own a single speaker, or a home theatre setup they only use for TV, who really have no idea what all a Sonos system can do.

Badge +1

The PLAY:1 does not have any Bluetooth at all.

Maybe it has BLE Bluetooth? I wonder how the initialization (of new speaker) is made, using app. Only via Ethernet? Or via WiFi? (well, WiFi is password protected and the brand new speaker doesn’t know my password).

No. The PLAY:1 has no Bluetooth capability at all. Either BLE for setup, or regular Bluetooth for music. As has been said by several folks, if you’re trying to understand the current state of the Sonos ecosystem, a single speaker of several generations ago is not likely to be of any significant help, particularly for the setup process. The PLAY:1 was supplanted by the Sonos One. Then the Sonos One was supplanted by the Era 100. 

Please reread @John B and @melvimbe ’s posts, if you’re serious about understanding the Sonos ecosystem. 

Badge +1

Thank you, please notice, I have no problem with the ecosystem, I have red/watched many what is online. But

• as you can see not all we can find in manuals. Manuals are for people who do not need details. That’s why I am asking. This is primo.
  • Secundo is that I have such budget as I have, so a look for speaker I can buy. Giving advice to buy something twice/triple expensive will be not to use (or option is someone will give me their credit card number ;-) )

Ok, all was said, thanks for everyone who who gave me their time! Greetings!

I am now a bit hazy on Play:1 setup, it being about a decade since I did this.  One thing I am confident about is that it has no Bluetooth of any sort, as @Airgetlam has stated.

My hazy recollection is that the easiest way to set up the first speaker in the system was by temporarily wiring it.  However, it could be done wirelessly, Sonos setting up a temporary network to allow this.

I don’t think you can complain about our suggesting more expensive speakers.  Your thread gives the didtinct impression that the Play:1 is just for testing, before a “proper” purchase.  I apologise for the misinterpretation.

Anyway, Sonos is a great system, and I am sure you will be impressed even if you go for older speakers.  Good luck.