Bluetooth problem with Era 100 stereo pair

• 24 November 2023
  • 5 replies

With a stereo pair of ERA 100s, when I connect bluetooth to one speaker, only that speaker has sound, the other speaker of the pair has no sound. Tried it to both speakers of the pair, only the one that was the bluetooth connection has sound.

And… when I try to stream radio channels afterwards, only the speaker that had not sound (non-bluetooth paired speaker) now has sound. I did a bluetooth disconnect and received confirmation tone before streaming radio.

Tried unpairing and repairing, factory reset on speaker and system reset on the Android app, no change.

If I power off and power on both the speakers, then finally I can have stereo sound with streaming radio after trying a bluetooth session.

Submitted diagnostics:
“Your confirmation number is: 557470626”

Moderator edit: moved to new thread

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @joeser 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thanks for reporting - I think I’ve identified the issue, but we were not aware of it happening under these circumstances.

Could you please try separating the stereo pair, then recreating it and testing once more? Settings » System » Bedroom » Remove Stereo Pair, then Settings » System » Bedroom » Set Up Stereo Pair.

If that doesn’t help, please try rebooting the router by switching it off for at least 30 seconds. Thanks.

I hope this helps.

Thanks!

The unpair/re-pair didn’t do it, but the reboot of the router solved the issues with the system.

So nice to be able to play music off my phone, even if it is bluetooth, then go back to streaming services without having to power cycle the Era 100s.

I would really like it if Sonos would bring back “on this device” for music library to avoid losing fidelity over bluetooth and the inconvenience of having to pair/unpair to play music from my phone.

That would be awesome if Sonos was able to convince both Apple and Google to overlook their rules that have forced Sonos to remove that feature. 

Maybe the EU will do something eventually? They are forcing Microsoft to open up or at least stop bundling in their software programs with Windows.

I didn’t realize that the dropping of this feature was forced on Sonos.😣 Thank-you so much Google and Apple!

I’d be surprised if they could, but nothing is impossible. I think both companies did it as a security measure, and not just sticking it to us. Each one basically said ‘you can no longer use our devices as a NAS’, and turned off the ability for Sonos, amongst others, to access music residing on the device.

The only way you can now play music on these to Sonos is via ‘casting’, so the actual player accessing the music is on the device, and sending the music to Sonos, I.e, Bluetooth or AirPlay 2. For some reason,

Google has chosen not to implement chromecast for Sonos devices. , If I were to put on my tinfoil hat, I’d say it’s due to the legal problems they’ve garnered by using Sonos patents without permission, but I don’t work for Google. It’s possible (although it seems unlikely to me) that there is a technical reason. I do know Sonos has written an API for it. Apple, Spotify, and I think others have implemented it.