Skip to main content
Answered

Bluetooth capabilities of Era 100

• 17 July 2024
  • 2 replies

I have two Sonos Play 1’s bought in 2017 and rarely used.  I like the look of the speakers which are stylish and discrete.  They were set up on my wifi in England and I thought I would use them more in my house in France.  I stream Apple music from my ipad.  However, the wifi network in France is not great as we have 500mm thick stone walls between the router and the sitting room - which is where I want to use the speakers as a connected pair.  I have lost the will to live whilst trying to get them onto the French wifi network and am thinking that I will upgrade to Era 100s using the 15% upgrade discount.   These speakers are advertised as offering Bluetooth connectivity.  However, my blood ran cold when I saw that you need to set them up initially using wifi!!!

I now have two questions before I buy:

Will the speakers work as a pair when connecting via Bluetooth?

if so,

Could I set them up on my English wifi and stream from my Ipad there and then bring them to France to continue to connect and stream via Bluetooth.

I’d be really appreciative of any advice the Community could give. 

Thanks

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @Shannonc and welcome to the Sonos Community!

Apologies for the delayed response. So to answer your questions, if connecting your iPad to Sonos via Bluetooth, it would be just to a single speaker. It is then possible to add other speakers to the group over wifi if they are present and set up on wifi, but with what you have mentioned about the wifi signal strength in your French property this may not be a reliable solution.

However I can tell you that the Era 100 does have a substantially wider stereo separation than a single Play:1 due to having an additional tweeter, so Bluetooth streaming to just one would still be a great audio experience. To do this, as you mentioned you would first set up and register the product using the Sonos App on your English residence wifi, then bring it to France, plug into power and use the steps in the following guide to connect to your iPad: Using Bluetooth with Sonos

I hope this helps!

thank you for the advice.