Answered

Best Era 300 Combo for Atmos Music Playback

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I'm looking for some feedback from anyone that's using the Era300s mainly for music listening...

I currently have the Arc, Sub Gen3 and 2 Era 300s in my living space but we don't watch much TV to tell you the truth and although it sounds pretty good for music content I feel the Arc lacks for music playback. Plus listening to just the Era 300s in a stereo pair isn't that fair away in terms of performace for music..... So I'm going to change my set up and try to get something that really makes the Atmos content shine. I have a big open plan house and I've tested the pair of 300s with the Sub but I think it's just overkill on the bass so I'm considring two options.....

2 x Era 300s stereo paired with the Sub Mini or 4 x Era 300s (2 stereo pairs grouped together)

Has anyone tried any of these combos? What's it like have two stereo pairs grouped together?

Cheers, Chris

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 22 July 2023, 14:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I think the bass of the era300 in stereo is good without the sub, I haven’t combined yet.

how much is the space your going or willing to setup Christonge?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

My main living area… Living room, kitchen, dining area and library is a total of 12m x 12m with 4m high vaulted ceiling. So thats’s why I was thinking 4 Era 300s as I don’t have a specific listening position and no TV in this space. The Arc, Sub Gen3 and 2 Era 300s I have set up in another room but like I said we rarely watch TV so I can’t justify that set up and I want to replace my old speaker system in the living area. I love how the Atmos content sounds on the Eras so that’s my priority!!

Userlevel 7

Hi 

I have Era 300’s x 2 with Sub-G3. The sound is great. The room is similar to yours with high ceilings (18 Feet) that opens to a raised kitchen area. The Sub IMO allows the Era’s to focus on the mid’s and high’s. For Dolby Atmos (DA) I find the stereo pair enough for my needs. However most of my listening is smooth jazz and there’s not a lot of DA content available. 

FYI, I didn’t buy the Sub-G3 specifically for the Era 300’s. I repurposed a dual sub setup in another  room that really didn’t require two sub’s. My point being that the Sub-Mini may be enough.

If I really think about it...for music...the mini would probably suffice as there aren’t LFE’s involved (as there are in movies) that require the extra power of the Sub-G3. The only caveat to use the mini may be room size. In your case you could start with the mini and move up; if you need to.

Edit: I see you are located in Spain. In the US the Sonos return policy is 45 days and most retailers offer at least 10 days. In your case to start with the mini and later decide you want the Sub-G3 may not be as easy to do. So you may have to go with the Sub-G3 based on logistics (i.e. ease of return/exchange).

Edit II: Here’s another point that may suggest the Sub-G3 over the Sub-Mini….Placement. The Sub-mini is designed for smaller spaces as indicated by Sonos. However, the placement of any sub is a key factor to accentuate the bass response. The Sub-Mini; because of its shape, doesn’t offer the placement options as the Sub-G3 such as unobtrusiley behind a cabinet or under a sofa. My Sub-G3 is approximately 10 feet away from the Era 300’s behind an entertainment center cabinet...the other side being a wall. Just food for thought.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I already have a Sub G3 and I’ve been trying it with the Era 300s paired.. it sounds great as you say but it seems like a bit of overkill and I have to turn the Sub right down. That’s why I was considering the Mini… but you could be right about the placement question.

It’s definitely an option but first I want to find out if 4 Era 300s (2 stereo pairs) can play Atmos once grouped together as I think it could sound amazing 😉

Userlevel 7

My favorite way to listen to music in Dolby Atmos is through my Arc + Sub + Era 300s setup playing from Apple Music on an Apple TV 4K. The Apple TV renders Dolby Atmos in a way that makes it sound more defined and robust than through the Sonos app. Just make sure your TV is equipped with eARC.

Userlevel 7

It’s definitely an option but first I want to find out if 4 Era 300s (2 stereo pairs) can play Atmos once grouped together as I think it could sound amazing 😉

You could group two pairs of Era 300s and play Dolby Atmos music, but the problem is if you placed one pair in front and one pair in back, you would now have music that is only supposed to be heard in front of you now playing behind you too which is not the way the mix engineer intended the Atmos mix to be heard.

If you go with just the Era 300s, stick to one stereo pair and add a Sub Mini (if necessary).

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

You could group two pairs of Era 300s and play Dolby Atmos music, but the problem is if you placed one pair in front and one pair in back, you would now have music that is only supposed to be heard in front of you now playing behind you too which is not the way the mix engineer intended the Atmos mix to be heard.

If you go with just the Era 300s, stick to one stereo pair and add a Sub Mini (if necessary).

I get you point about the front and back (artist on a stage or performing in front of you) and certainly that’s the case with movies but it’s the overall spatial effect that I like about the Era 300s. You get much less of that “front and back” with music and more of a “all around sound”... you can’t pinpoint where the sound is coming from. They just “fill” the space.  Plus I don’t have a TV or a definite front or back with my set up just a big open plan space. 

Userlevel 7

I get you point about the front and back (artist on a stage or performing in front of you) and certainly that’s the case with movies but it’s the overall spatial effect that I like about the Era 300s. You get much less of that “front and back” with music and more of a “all around sound”... you can’t pinpoint where the sound is coming from. They just “fill” the space.  Plus I don’t have a TV or a definite front or back with my set up just a big open plan space. 

A Dolby Atmos or 5.1 mix for a song is mixed the same way as a Dolby Atmos or 5.1 mix for a film. There is a front soundstage and a rear soundstage. What is designed to be heard in front of you is not supposed to be heard behind you. Likewise, what is designed to be heard behind you is not supposed to be heard in front. A lot of Atmos music mixes are very discrete where one instrument or one vocal is only played out of a specific channel or speaker. So you can very much pinpoint where specific sounds are coming from in the room. This is why the best setup to listen to music in Dolby Atmos or 5.1 is with a home theater setup like an Arc, Sub, and Era 300s as surrounds.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

A Dolby Atmos or 5.1 mix for a song is mixed the same way as a Dolby Atmos or 5.1 mix for a film. There is a front soundstage and a rear soundstage. What is designed to be heard in front of you is not supposed to be heard behind you. Likewise, what is designed to be heard behind you is not supposed to be heard in front. A lot of Atmos music mixes are very discrete where one instrument or one vocal is only played out of a specific channel or speaker. So you can very much pinpoint where specific sounds are coming from in the room. This is why the best setup to listen to music in Dolby Atmos or 5.1 is with a home theater setup like an Arc, Sub, and Era 300s as surrounds.

Thanks for the explanation ;-))

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I like the sound of a room where the music “fills” it too. I don't like hearing music and being able to know where it comes from, if I am just sitting and enjoying it. Either how I am wired, or how my ears work I don't know, but it drives me NUTS if I can pinpoint where music is from. I don't have the eras, but two fives and two ones with a sub g3 in our living room, and I really like how it sounds. I think the only way it could sound better is with all fives or two fives and two 300s with the sub. Since I started down this rabbit hole, I have learned what sounds good to you and you like, someone else may not.