Skip to main content

Beam disorted / metallic sound started 6 months after warranty expired

Hi,

My Sonos Beam started to sound bad all of a sudden two weeks ago and is atm. practically unusable. Symptoms are metallic distortion when listening TV dialog or music through app or smartphone (Spotify). I raised a support call to troubleshoot the issue. First contact with them went very well and we gathered a lot of debug data in a 1h call session. Did factory reset etc. The issue did not resolved. I also sent a couple videos about the issue afterwards as support requested me to do.

Last week I received an email from support that warranty is not valid anymore and I need to buy a new loudspeaker. Only thing Sonos can do is give me a 30% discount from the purchase. At the same time I’m receiving 25% discount coupons by email daily. Not much of a compensation. Support did not explain either what could be wrong with my speaker even though I spent 1h troubleshooting it and sent videos as requested.

After this I made a new call and tried to explain that I have had this product for only 2,5 years and it cost me 350€ so it should work longer than 6 months after warranty expires. I would expect that this price category product would work longer or at least have an explanation what is wrong with it.

I noticed that people have had similar issue with different models but no clear answer if problems have been solved somehow?

I do not recommend Sonos to anyone and I’m very disappointed how support closed this issue after first relatively good debug session. Do not lose a customer doesn’t seem to be Sonos slogan.

Hi,

just wanted to hint that this one issue I opened might be related:

It seems somewhat difficult to reliably reproduce, especially as some individuals might be more sensitive to this kind of distortion than others.

Can you maybe elaborate here which TV / setup you are using?

Also, do you have surrounds set up or is the Beam running standalone?

Cheers,

Kai

Sonos is connected to Samsung QE5567Q series TV with earc HDMI. No surrounds, I’m running it standalone. For Sonos support I was able to reproduce the distortion quite easily streaming with Spotify and certain song. TV dialog distortion is not easy to hear at first and require louder volume but it gets worse over time.

Thanks,

Kari