Answered

Audio drops out in 10 speaker setup but network matrix is green

Badge

Hello!

I have 10 Sonos speakers spread across my less than 1000 SQ ft one level house. I have a beam gen 2, sub, five, and two Symfonisk picture frames in the living room all grouped together. I have 2 one sls in the kitchen with another picture frame. And a picture frame and a one SL in the bathroom. I have plaster walls with metal mesh. I am using sonosnet and audio drops on some of the speakers farthest from my beam gen 2 (my wife's speaker for sonosnet). I also have a sub gen 3 and a five hardwired with Ethernet but have WiFi disabled to avoid any loops. My house 2.4ghz wifi is on channel 1 and my sonosnet is on channel 11. 

My audio drops on random speakers mainly when I force an action (like click next, or when I click pause not all the speakers will stop immediately) some times for 20+ seconds. Sometimes audio drops mid song without me touching anything on the farthest speakers and then comes back on. I am playing Spotify at 320kbps.

I ran a network matrix but everything is green. I really don't know how to read it. It also doesn't include noise level which I found odd. Can someone please help me understand what could be going on? I am going to upgrade my router to an orbi and connect the speakers back to WiFi from sonosnet to see if that helps. I have gigabit fiber connection. In the meantime, I'd anyone can help me troubleshoot my sonosnet issues, that would be much appreciated! Let me know if you need any other information. 

Network matrix posted below.

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Goldenr44 3 January 2023, 05:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 7

Keep the Subs and any surround speakers wireless. All other speakers can remain wired. Most importantly, keep WiFi enabled on ALL speakers in the Sonos app.

Badge

GuitarSuperstar,

Thanks for your reply! Sonos support advised me to enable WiFi on all speakers as you did and I still have the issue. I just unplugged my Ethernet on the sub and I still have the issue. Anything else you would suggest I try?

Thanks again!

Userlevel 7

Newer Sonos speakers no longer report the noise level in the matrix.

For the speakers that drop, is there anything nearby that could be causing any wireless interference ?

Badge

Mr. T,

Thanks for your reply! Well in the kitchen, all speakers cut out but the one that does so consistently is next to my microwave. But I don't use the microwave often and also, my five has direct line of sight to that speaker, no walls or anything. My picture frame and one SL in the bathroom have the issue, there is a plaster wall in between the beam (closest hardwired speaker), and the one SL and picture frame. Everything in my living room works like a charm, they all have direct line of sight to my five and beam and are maybe 10 ft apart from each other.

Userlevel 7

Mr. T,

Thanks for your reply! Well in the kitchen, all speakers cut out but the one that does so consistently is next to my microwave. But I don't use the microwave often and also, my five has direct line of sight to that speaker, no walls or anything. My picture frame and one SL in the bathroom have the issue, there is a plaster wall in between the beam (closest hardwired speaker), and the one SL and picture frame. Everything in my living room works like a charm, they all have direct line of sight to my five and beam and are maybe 10 ft apart from each other.

Your matrix shows all your speakers (other than the Five) are communicating with the Beam as you have disabled WiFi on the wired Five.

Badge

I just changed it based on Guitarsuperstar's suggestion. Here is the new matrix:

Badge

I'm a mess and new to this interface, I clicked your post as best answer but didn't mean to, do you know how I can undo it? Ha, sorry. 

Userlevel 7

You should be able to amend the Best Answer to another post. If not, a mod can remove/change.

Now the Five is communicating with the kitchen speakers, are you still getting dropouts? (When microwave is not on)

If so, then you could switch SonosNet channel. Try it on 1 or 6 and change your router channel to 11 instead.

Badge

You should be able to amend the Best Answer to another post. If not, a mod can remove/change.

Now the Five is communicating with the kitchen speakers, are you still getting dropouts? (When microwave is not on)

If so, then you could switch SonosNet channel. Try it on 1 or 6 and change your router channel to 11 instead.

Unfortunately I am still getting the dropouts. Less so I think? Might be placebo. I cannot access the settings to change the channel on my router (FiOS), I have to call them to change it, so will try that when I have some time and then change sonosnet. Any other suggestions? According to my wifianalyzer app, channel 11 has the least access points on it and that is what sonosnet is set to. My neighbors houses are pretty far away. There are two other channel 11 wifi signals near me but they are -80 dbm. 

Userlevel 7

Unfortunately I am still getting the dropouts. Less so I think? Might be placebo. I cannot access the settings to change the channel on my router (FiOS), I have to call them to change it, so will try that when I have some time and then change sonosnet. Any other suggestions? 

When you group speakers, start with either the TV Beam room or the Family Room Five. The first room becomes the group controller when you add additional rooms, so you want that to have the best connection, and both of those rooms are wired.

Badge

Unfortunately I am still getting the dropouts. Less so I think? Might be placebo. I cannot access the settings to change the channel on my router (FiOS), I have to call them to change it, so will try that when I have some time and then change sonosnet. Any other suggestions? 

When you group speakers, start with either the TV Beam room or the Family Room Five. The first room becomes the group controller when you add additional rooms, so you want that to have the best connection, and both of those rooms are wired.

I have always grouped using the five and not the beam since it saves the last music I had playing, even when the beam is playing tv audio. Since the new setup has the five WiFi enabled I just tried it again and grouped with the fivr and I had the drop outs again, all the kitchen speakers drop out, ha. 

Userlevel 7

Have you tried unplugging the affected speakers from power for a couple of minutes and rebooting your router and phone?

Userlevel 7

I have always grouped using the five and not the beam since it saves the last music I had playing, even when the beam is playing tv audio. Since the new setup has the five WiFi enabled I just tried it again and grouped with the fivr and I had the drop outs again, all the kitchen speakers drop out, ha. 

I’d say there is likely wireless interference around the kitchen devices that unfortunately doesn’t show in the matrix that is available to users.

If you are able to move the kitchen speakers to a different location, do the dropouts continue?

I’d recommend that you submit a diagnostic within 15mins after experiencing the dropouts and contact Sonos Support again. They should be able to delve deeper into the diagnostic for a potential cause/solution.

Badge

Have you tried unplugging the affected speakers from power for a couple of minutes and rebooting your router and phone?

Yes, I have tried this. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Badge

I’d say there is likely wireless interference around the kitchen devices that unfortunately doesn’t show in the matrix that is available to users.

If you are able to move the kitchen speakers to a different location, do the dropouts continue?

I’d recommend that you submit a diagnostic within 15mins after experiencing the dropouts and contact Sonos Support again. They should be able to delve deeper into the diagnostic for a potential cause/solution.

Ill try to move some of the speakers and see what happens. Thanks. I'll call in too, I chatted but I tried most things that they suggested other than enable wifi to the five. Thanks for your help!

Badge

Just an update, but no resolution. I talked to Sonos support twice. The first time they said it was bad interference so sequential reboot everything. Did that, no change. When I rebooted the router it switched to channel 11, so I switched sonosnet to channel 1, no change. Then the Sonos tech told me the diagnostics looked fine (after trying a bunch of things on his end and running a few diagnostics) and he said he couldn't try anything else. So I'm stuck right now. I am going to buy an Orbi mesh router/satellites (rbk752/rbr750) and see if that helps. Pretty frustrating but I guess it is what it is. I had no issues with 4 speakers, but as I added, the drops started getting worse. I will change the router, get off sonosnet and see if that works. Thanks all!

Badge

Solved! I tried to get off sonosnet to see what would happen. I rebooted the router and did a sequential reboot of all speakers. Then plugged 3 speakers into Ethernet and disabled wifi so sonosnet would not start. And everything works! No lag or drops at all! Sonosnet was not superior to WiFi in this case. The router is nothing special, just the one that came from my isp (Verizon FiOS). Thanks all, hope this helps others, rebooting the router and then rebooting the speakers one by one did the trick. 

I’m suspicious about the radio hardware or very severe interference in one or more of these three units. 

Badge

I’m suspicious about the radio hardware or very severe interference in one or more of these three units. 

Thanks for your input. Would that show up in the Sonos diagnostics? And would that effect wifi not sonosnet? I ask because my setup on wifi now works. 

Yes, it should show in the diagnostics. In an earlier post you mentioned that this was noted. If the interference or hardware failure is in one or more of the units with the radio disabled, you might now be problem free. You could experiment with enabling one of these radios at a time.

The data available to us from support/review is limited and undocumented. Open the link to a player and look at /proc/ath_rincon/status and /sbin/ifconfig. There are some error counts here that you may be able to use. This is not polished data and is marginally useful. If the error and retry count explodes for a player, this might be a hint. You’ll need to be very anal while trying to exploit this data.

The network matrix is not very useful for the newer players.