Skip to main content
Answered

Are Sonos components recoverable after power surge?

• 25 June 2024
  • 3 replies

OK I live in NZ and enjoy 240V AC. On Friday night a fault on the power supply to my house led to a a massive power surge and a voltage drop to 160V, as the neutral melted off the connector in the post outside and the earth wire delivered voltage in my house.

Most things that were plugged and powered on were fried - including (I think) my Sonos system)

These included 2 x Play5, 2xPlay3, ZonePlayer, Soundbar, 1xPlayOne.  None of these have any lights on under the 240V AC that has now been restored and a factory reset also failed to generate any signs of life.  

Three orher components a Play:One, Sub, and Move had lights and I was able to reset and rejoin to restored network. However why I tried to play music, odd things happened - tracks stopping and starting, playing without vocals???? until finally the Move and Play:One would play no more.  I have yet tested the sub - because I thought it should be tested as part of a full system.

So my question is: Just how cooked are my components. Is anything recoverable? I thought it might just be the power boards that were cooked - but the behaviour of Move and One suggests most of the boards might have been fried.  Fortunately, I am insured, but I need to convince assessor replace and not fix.

Grateful for any help - although I hope noone else has had this experience.  Particularly sad to lose the play5s. We have been together a long time…

Many thanks

Brian

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

On the devices where the LED doesn’t light, it may just be the fuse that’s blown.  Replacing the fuse is easy; disassembling the speakers is not so easy

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d go for a replacement. To justify this just ask the insurance company to provide you the name of any local repair shop authorized to work on Sonos. Point out to them that Sonos does not do repairs for customers themselves and warn against home repairs.

You can try to negotiate a discount with Sonos when replacing your broken gear, have pictures of each data plate handy so they can identify your exact equipment.

If you can get anything working well enough you could submit a diagnostic to Sonos then call and ask that it be looked at. They might be able to tell you what is still good and what is showing problems but not totally dead yet.

Thanks for those really helpful replies.  Fuse replacement is clearly not straightforward. Will go with Stanley_4’s suggestion.

I’d go for a replacement. To justify this just ask the insurance company to provide you the name of any local repair shop authorized to work on Sonos. Point out to them that Sonos does not do repairs for customers themselves and warn against home repairs.

You can try to negotiate a discount with Sonos when replacing your broken gear, have pictures of each data plate handy so they can identify your exact equipment.

If you can get anything working well enough you could submit a diagnostic to Sonos then call and ask that it be looked at. They might be able to tell you what is still good and what is showing problems but not totally dead yet.