Skip to main content
Answered

arc

• 18 December 2022
  • 10 replies

I have a arc with 2 ones and a sub for surround set up with trueplay.

if I turn off ones and sub does the arc play as a stand alone product, or as it would as part of the group?

Sonos uses “rooms” to define a speaker or a set of speakers. You could, for example, have your Arc, with aSub and two Ones as surrounds. The “extra” speakers are bonded to the Arc, and are located in a room - eg “TV Room”. You can stream music to TV Room and the sound will come from all speakers in the room. You can increase/decrease the surrounds’ volume via the sliders in Settings/System/TV Room/Surround Audio. Make sure too they are set to Full rather than Ambient sound. 
If you have another One in Kitchen, you can then group the rooms so they play the same source. A Five has an aux input. Let’s say that’s in a room called Den. you can select that input in Kitchen, whilst still streaming to Den. That makes a Sonos setup very flexible and configurable. 

Ok thanks.

so you can’t have different set ups for same room.

The room name is just an identifying label rather than a physical location. You could have two stereo-paired Fives and a Sub, labelled “Stereo” and an Arc, Sub and Surrounds labelled “TV System”, and have them all in the same physical room in your home. You might then play music to either the Stereo config, or the TV System config, or group them and have it play through the whole lot. Similarly you could name the speaker sets Fred and Harry. 

In your original post: you could power off the surrounds and only the Arc and Sub will play, but you’d lose Trueplay since the sound from the different speaker setup will require different frequency tuning. 

Thanks

It’s a way for sonos to have you buy more speakers.  You should be able to configure the same speaker for different “rooms” but that is not possible.  

It’s a way for sonos to have you buy more speakers.  You should be able to configure the same speaker for different “rooms” but that is not possible.  

One should learn about the very different network type, direction, and band usage by the Sonos music vs surround configuration before speaking so definitively on a subject they so obviously know nothing about.

How would you do this with a “conventional” wired amp and speakers system? The need to move speakers around, set up different amps and run wires around the house wouldn’t be any easier. 

In your original post: you could power off the surrounds and only the Arc and Sub will play, but you’d lose Trueplay since the sound from the different speaker setup will require different frequency tuning. 

Is this really what happens when surrounds and Sub are turned off (not removed from the “room” in Sonos)? This would mean the Arc knows that the speakers it was Trueplayed with are “missing” and would revert to the stand alone before Trueplay state? And reinstate Trueplay when surrounds and Sub are turned on again? To me it would be more logical that the Arc would keep it’s Trueplay settings.

Is this really what happens when surrounds and Sub are turned off (not removed from the “room” in Sonos)? This would mean the Arc knows that the speakers it was Trueplayed with are “missing” and would revert to the stand alone before Trueplay state? And reinstate Trueplay when surrounds and Sub are turned on again? To me it would be more logical that the Arc would keep it’s Trueplay settings.

I did mean (though it wasn’t very clear) that Trueplay was run for the setup including the surrounds, so with Arc playing alone the Trueplay adjustments would become void. And that is an assumption on my part: perhaps a Sonos representative could tell us exactly what happens in this scenario?