Airplay 2 not working on sonos play:5

• 25 July 2022
  • 9 replies

I have the Sonos Play:5 (Gen 2), Now airplay 1 is an option  but airplay 2 does not seem to show up. I know this because the white circle is not visible next to the speakers name on the airplay dropdown menu. (and songs take forever to load). The speaker is on the latest update. and so are the devices connected to it, aswell as my Wi-Fi working perfectly fine. I dont know what to do, all my other speakers work perfectly fine with airplay 2. 

Please help! :)

Thanks

9 replies

You say that your wifi is working perfectly fine, but Sonos makes greater demands on a network because it requires constant multi-device communication.  It may just be some local wireless interference or an IP addressing issue.

The first thing to try is just to power cycle the speaker off and on.  If that doesn’t work, power off your router ands all Sonos devices. Then power the router fully back on. then the speakers.

Please post back whether that works or not.

Hey John,

Ive checked all that and done everything you mentioned, the problem is still pursuing

:(

A few things that would be useful to know, for troubleshooting.

1. What source are you playing?
  2. Are any of your speakers grouped within the Sonos app?
  3. Can you play a streaming service through the Sonos app to that speaker (or if you don’t have a streaming service, try internet radio)
  4. If you temporarily swap locations of the Play:5 with another speaker (assuming that is possible) does the problem follow the speaker or stay with the location?
  5. Are any of your speakers wired or are they all wireless?

Edit - before we go any further, what device are you playing Airplay 2 from?  Do you have other Sonos speakers or are any other speakers non-Sonos.?

By the way, Airplay 1 is not supported on Sonos, although may work after a fashion.  Are you sure your device isn’t trying to use Airplay 1?

A few things that would be useful to know, for troubleshooting.

1. What source are you playing?
  2. Are any of your speakers grouped within the Sonos app?
  3. Can you play a streaming service through the Sonos app to that speaker (or if you don’t have a streaming service, try internet radio)
  4. If you temporarily swap locations of the Play:5 with another speaker (assuming that is possible) does the problem follow the speaker or stay with the location?
  5. Are any of your speakers wired or are they all wireless?

Edit - before we go any further, what device are you playing Airplay 2 from?  Do you have other Sonos speakers or are any other speakers non-Sonos.?

1. Iphone 13
  2. none of the speakers are grouped, i only have 1 speaker now
  3. Yes, i can play anything to the speaker it just takes forever to load.
  4. i have never swapped locations.
  5. they have all been wireless

P.S, when i go to the airplay dropdown menu, it only allows me to connect to the speaker via airplay 1, there is no white cirlce option, meaning it isn’t airplay 2. Ive had the sonos one and the sonos beam (gen 2) in the past and they both had the airplay 2 white circle. 

:)

1. Iphone 13
  2. none of the speakers are grouped, i only have 1 speaker now
  3. Yes, i can play anything to the speaker it just takes forever to load.
  4. i have never swapped locations.
  5. they have all been wireless

P.S, when i go to the airplay dropdown menu, it only allows me to connect to the speaker via airplay 1, there is no white cirlce option, meaning it isn’t airplay 2. Ive had the sonos one and the sonos beam (gen 2) in the past and they both had the airplay 2 white circle. 

:)

Note: the ‘white circle’ you refer to does not appear until after an Airplay2 device is selected .. see screenshot(s) attached. Do you have a screenshot and what App are you playing the audio from on the iPhone?

sonos refuse to give me a replacement product, this thing takes 2 minutes to pause and play a song. here are the screenshots you asked for. :)

, this thing takes 2 minutes to pause and play a song.

This indicates some sort of network issue. Have you worked with SONOS support? They can help identify network issues.

sonos refuse to give me a replacement product, this thing takes 2 minutes to pause and play a song. here are the screenshots you asked for. :)

You’re device has the white circle when selected - so it’s Airplay2 - from what you are saying, it sounds like a network issue -  try the Move on each WiFi band to see which works best in your environment. 

If using the 2.4Ghz band, than set the router to use either fixed channel 1, 6 or 11 and try a channel-width of 20Mhz only (if your router allows) and see which one of the three channels will work best for you.