Aging system - new Fives or Era 300s to go with playbar and sub

• 4 June 2023
  • 2 replies

• Current system -

Playbar; Sub (Gen 3); Connect:Amp to 2 (actually 4) crappy in-ceiling speakers; 2 Play:3s; 2 Play:5s (Gen 1, not connected as it’s too much of a PIA to try to have an S1 and S2 configuration in the house)

HT: Sub connected to Playbar with Connect:Amp speakers as surrounds

Play:3s set up as stereo pair and happen to be in same room as Tv

I want a much more compelling stereo listening experience. Was listening to Keith Jarrett’s Koln Concert through 3s GROUPED with HT setup (why? because 3s are little and I want to use the Sub) and desperate to get a stereo image.

So I want to replace the 3s for stereo listening and move them upstairs.  I thought since I have kids who play a lot of stuff through apple music they might like the experience of spatial audio and Era 300s.  Selfishly, the HT situation is good enough and I’d just get Fives and enjoy my stereo.

Era 300s edging Fives on the basis of more sustainable (newer) but I think they’d compete better with Fives if I had the Sub backing them.  Also, I realize 300s limited as can’t work with playbar as rears.

Questions:

1 - Any general guidance on picking 300s vs Fives (and using my Play:5 30% upgrade credits)? I’ve done lots of forum reading and watched lots of videos.

2 - Is it absurd to imagine “moving” (swapping back and forth) the Sub between the HT setup and a stereo pair of 300s? If i could do this reasonably, I imaging that the 300s would be more competitive with Fives for stereo listening

Thank you!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jnhmail 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’m glad you’re aware you can’t bond Era 300s to a Playbar, as that would have been a major obstacle.

In answer to your questions:

1. If spatial audio or “The Best Home Theatre performance on Sonos” are what you are looking for, Era 300s all the way! Please note that the discount from just one of your Play:5s can get you a 30% discount on a set of speakers - that could be an Arc + 2x Era 300 + Sub, or just 2x Era 300. So, if you have 2 vouchers, I recommend keeping one voucher back for another day by shopping wisely! Please also note that Era 300s need more free space around them than Fives do.
  2. It’s certainly asked a lot, so I wouldn’t say it’s absurd, but it is a bit impractical. It will take a minute or two each time with several button-presses, and TruePlay will need to be repeated afterwards (if you have iOS devices to do it on). I suppose it depends on how often you want to do it - if it’s just a few times a year for parties, then I would say just move the Sub you have. I am currently listening to a single Era 300 and I am happy enough with the level of bass, though if you are used to a Sub, I guess you may expect a little more than I do. There is a set of 2x Era 300, and a set of 2x Era 300 + Sub available, so I recommend testing the pair of 300s without a Sub - if you’re not quite happy, return the pair for a refund, then get the 2x Era 300 + Sub set instead - you’ll be able to recover the discount voucher by calling our sales team.

Although I have not personally listened to Fives, they are still our premium speaker for stereo playback - if you value this over spatial audio, then they are the best we have to offer. Again, you would be able to buy a pair of these using just one voucher.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask, but I cannot tell you which option to go for outright - I can only advise.

I hope this helps.

I think the choice between Era 300 and Fives depends on the size of the room your using them in.  The  Era 300s (do your play:3s fill up the room?) won’t fill up the 20 ft x 20 ft space the way a Five can, and it doesn’t do bass on it’s on the way a Five can...although I still like the Fives with a sub added.  You aren’t going to really get a good spatial audio effect in the large room either as they just are not designed for that.  I also think that an Arc + surrounds (not ceiling speakers) is better for spatial audio than a pair of Era 300s.

Whatever you do, I would definitely look at getting another sub .  You can have it included with a package as Corry stated, but it’s currently 20% off without using a voucher.  It might make sense to save your vouchers for later (perhaps when ready to get an Arc) and just take advantage of current sales.