Answered

7.2.4 Atmos Speaker Layout

• 27 June 2023
  • 3 replies

I just bought the Sonos ARC and am super impressed at how easy it was to setup and the sound quality I get from just the bar.  In the past I’ve bought AV receivers and speakers and always struggled with setting them up properly and optimizing sound.  I have to say I don’t think I will ever go back to the traditional setup after purchasing the ARC.

With that being said, I would like to start planning a 7.2.4 setup.  What speakers do I need for a great 7.2.4 setup and how should they be placed?  Do I use all ERA 300s?  Or do you mix other speakers as well?

icon

Best answer by jgatie 27 June 2023, 15:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

You can only add 2 Era 300 surrounds and 1 Sub-Mini/Sub or 2 Subs.  This, along with the Arc will give you 7.1.4 (Arc - L/C/R, 2 front height, 2 Era 300 - 2 rear surrounds, 2 rear height, Sub(s) - .1 low level effects). 

The layout is Arc in front under screen, surrounds behind and to the sides of the main viewing area, Sub(s) wherever they sound good. 

Well that’s good news.  Less speakers to buy.  If I add 2 subs isn’t that 7.2.4 though?

Well that’s good news.  Less speakers to buy.  If I add 2 subs isn’t that 7.2.4 though?

No entirely.  The .1 signal is repeated in the 2 subs.  Actually, the whole notion of x.y.z is going away, because spatial audio isn’t like the old formats.  Spatial audio puts sounds into a space in the room, not to a particular channel or speaker.   It’s all based on room mapping, and no two rooms are alike, so what may be playing on the individual channels/speakers in your room may be completely different in mine, depending on the layout.