Skip to main content

Currently my sonos 5 is physically plugged into the router by ethernet cable and my sonos 1 is paired with the 5. I have attempted to find a blutooth option instead but am unable to get this to work. Can i set this up without physical ethernet connection to the router?

With respect: do you have any idea what products you own, what their specifications are, or how to use, link and control them? Your post says 1, 5, One and Five. Are they Play:1/Play:5?
If you’re using the Sonos app you cannot pair a Five and a One - or any non-same speakers, if these are the speakers you have? None of these have Bluetooth capabilities. Yes, all are wifi-capable. 

I’m going to assume that when you say you’ve paired the One and Five, you have them together in a group via the Sonos app? Are you using the latest Sonos app or the older S1 app? 

It’s also unclear what you are trying to achieve? Are you simply trying to not use an ethernet cable to the Five, or are you genuinely looking to connect a bluetooth device to the speakers? 

Hi Thanks both for your replies. To clarify, yes they are play:1 and Play:5. They are grouped together. The Play:5 is wired via ethernet cable to the wifi router, which it sits next to. I operate them with the latest sonos app.

What I would like t achieve: to be able to play both as the group without any hardwire connection to the wifi router. to be able to use them as a group via bluetooth (which nik9669a confirms my speakers dont have) or other wireless option.

Or, do i have no option but to operate them with an ethernet connection to the wifi router?

I have had them both about 7 years and their perfomance consistency has improved in this time with the tech upgrades.

I use them for playing streamed music from my phone and the Play:5 is also cable connected to the TV, so I can listen via the Sonos.  

Ok, thanks that explains a bit more. I’m still not clear what you want the music source to be? Are you simply looking to lose the ethernet cable? And do you use the S1 app or the new app to control your Sonos speakers? 

Hi Ian, I want to operate both speakers without any ethernet cable.

I want to be able to stream music from my phone via the app and also use with the TV (happy using a speaker/TV cable connection for that).

I am using the new app - updated about two or three months ago.

@GB11

The ethernet cable is not a must have… you can also use the speakers wireless via your routers wifi. 
Just add it via network settings in the Sonos app. 
To stream music to your speakers exept the Sonos app you could also use Airplay (if you use an Apple device) as the Play5 Gen2 supports Airplay. Via grouping it also can be played one the Play1. 
To use bluetooth from any device as source signal you will need at least one Sonos device that supports bluetooth audio. These are the Era speakers and mobile speakers. 

I don’t know how you originally setup the system. As a test, simply unplug the Ethernet cable. If the system works, celebrate, because you are done. If the system stops working, simply restore the connection. After either of these changes allow a couple minutes for the system to reconfigure itself.

Before just unplugging the ethernet cable, check that the WiFi for the Play:5 is on, go into the settings for the 5 and look in network. 

If it’s off, turn it on and then unplug the ethernet. 

If the WiFi was on, then the Play:1 is probably connected via Sonosnet from the 5. I’d reboot the Play:1  after removing the ethernet cable from the 5.

Thank you contributors, greatly appreciated and will give it a try today. 👍🏼