Answered

4 speaker system working fine on Mac app, IOS app can only see one speaker

• 25 April 2023
  • 5 replies

Everything working fine, went out for a walk, came back & the iOS app has lost three of the four speakers (it “sees” the Play 5, but has “lost” an Era 300 and two independent Ones).

The Mac app works just fine - sees and independently controls each speaker still, but phone refuses to find “new product”. Phone restarted, app deleted and re-installed - same phone only finds the Play 5.

No ethernet connections - all wi-fi. All one one network, one router, no mesh. No issues for months, then this….

Any ideas / help please?

icon

Best answer by buzz 26 April 2023, 00:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Any chance your network did a DHCP renew while you were out? You’d need to look at your router’s logs to see that.

My first step would be to set static/reserved IP addresses for all Sonos gear. Power all Sonos down, reboot the router then your controllers. Then power up your Sonos devices. This eliminates the possible DHCP issues from the problem list making any further troubleshooting simpler.

Submit a diagnostic from the phone and from the Mac, then contact Sonos support. Avoid the temptation to Factory Reset.

What model router are you using? Are you using separate WiFi SSID’s for the 2.4 and 5GHz segments?

You should not be executing “Add new Product” because there are no unregistered products in your system. As you reinstall the iOS controller, you should “join an existing system”.

Any chance your network did a DHCP renew while you were out? You’d need to look at your router’s logs to see that.

My first step would be to set static/reserved IP addresses for all Sonos gear. Power all Sonos down, reboot the router then your controllers. Then power up your Sonos devices. This eliminates the possible DHCP issues from the problem list making any further troubleshooting simpler.

Probably this, but still confused as to why the Mac quite happy to accommodate the “change”, while the IOS app threw a wobbly.

Restarted everything (Router + all speakers) yesterday (first opportunity), and all come back on within about 10 minutes.

You can’t beat “turn it all off and on again” to solve problems.

I’ll see how it goes before embarking on fixing DHCP, etc., as have had 3+ years of no issues with exactly same setup (barring adding an Era 300 on release day).

Thanks.

Submit a diagnostic from the phone and from the Mac, then contact Sonos support. Avoid the temptation to Factory Reset.

What model router are you using? Are you using separate WiFi SSID’s for the 2.4 and 5GHz segments?

You should not be executing “Add new Product” because there are no unregistered products in your system. As you reinstall the iOS controller, you should “join an existing system”.

Option not available in the IOS app, so couldn’t do that….

System showed only one registered product - the other 3 had vanished completely (on the IOS app) so….

Just shoddy IOS app, I think. Nothing wrong with the wifi or the mac app.

Contrary to your experience, I’ve had zero issues with the iOS app, in fact I use it daily to manage my system. It’s certainly kept up to date with all the new features that Sonos adds, whereas the desktop app is in bug fix mode only, and no longer gets any of the ‘new features’.

In your case, I suspect network issues causing one device to not be able to ‘see’ the entire network. Which is supported by the inability to submit a diagnostic, suggesting something blocking the ability of the controller on that device to be able to ‘see’ the Sonos server that where that data gets submitted. There’s a multitude of potential reasons for this, from a misconfigured mesh network, some sort of VPN/work profile being installed on the iOS device, router isolation issues, to others.