Skip to main content

Okay so I have 2 Sonos S1’s that I have setup in my kitchen as a stereo pair and it was working great I had them connected to WiFi and everything it was amazing and I was really pleased with it. 
But if the WiFi connection is for some reason stopped (either by someone Turing it off or power cuts) it will refuse to automatically reconnect and I have to go and reconnect them manually. And with multiple speakers in multiple rooms that’s quite a challenge! 
I run a few of my other songs speakers because I know the WiFi connection is quiet a challenge but surely there is a way to make it connect on its own?  
I have attached the reconnect reminder but if this could be updated that would be amazing 🙂

When you say an “S1”, what do you mean? There are Sonos PLAY:1s and Sonos Ones, but not an S1, which is reserved for one of the two operating systems that Sonos uses (S1 and S2).

Usually, when a Sonos drops off of wifi, it’s for one of two reasons. Either wifi interference of some type, or an automated update to the router, which changes the settings for the wifi.

Your first step should be to temporarily wire one speaker to your router with an ethernet cable. Wait two or three minutes, and check to see if the Sonos speakers show up in your controller. If they do, it’s likely that your router was updated, and perhaps the channels in use may have been altered.  Sonos really prefers an 802.11 b/g/n 2.4Ghz network, but can sometimes, depending on the actual speakers, connect to a 5Ghz network. However, the latter depends on the speakers, if they’re older PLAY:1s, they may not have that capability, and it’s possible that an update to your router switched the channels in use.

The wiring of a speaker will test that theory, at the least. 

It might be helpful to know some more details, too. Exactly what speakers do you have, what is the make and model of your router, what channel is it broadcasting, when is the last time you rebooted both the speakers and the router, etc. The more information you can give, the more likely it is we can hone in on the issue. 

Longtimenoc,

What device are you using to control your SONOS system?

I know that it is tempting, but  I suggest that you refrain from Factory Reset without further consult. Reboot (removing power for a while) is OK.

Thanks for the help 😉 and Sorry for the confusion they are Sonos one’s! My router is a UDM pro from ubiquity. 

Lontimenoc,

What are you using to control your SONOS? Do you have a single UDM or are you using a mesh?

Um using UDM pro to control UniFi lites WiFi acres points as a mesh WiFi network yes…

Working currently however :)

Hi @Longtimenoc 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’m glad to hear that things are working now, but if you haven’t addressed the problem then the issue will come back then next time there is an update (as the speakers will all reboot) or the router goes off.

Please try the following:

• In the Settings tab, click Wireless Networks.
  • Click Edit next to the network SSID.
  • Expand Advanced Options.
  • Uncheck Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data.
  • In the Settings tab, click Sites.
  • Disable Auto-Optimize Network.
  • In the Networks tab, please enable IGMP Filtering/Snooping

Remember to apply/save settings.

I hope this helps.

Sonos hates broken WiFi (see: ASUS, SkyQ)

Sonos hates mis-configured WiFi (see: Ubiquity)

Sonos loves solid WiFi (see:AmpliFi)