Skip to main content
Hi,

I am about to buy sonos play:5. I want to use the speaker with my Windows computer which i understand is compatible. Is it possible to use the speaker while i produce music and such without playing from music streaming services? Basically use it as a speaker for my computer.

Sumetri
It's not what it's designed for, actually. But you could string a wire from the headphone out on the computer to the line-in on the PLAY:5, and it would work. Note that there's a slight delay in processing the data on the line in, usually around 70ms, which might make it challenging for games or movies.

Sonos speakers are really designed to be music speakers that access the data across the internet, with the speaker itself pulling the data, not having the data pushed to it. For instance, the software allows you to "point" at the music on your hard drive, and then that gives the software on the speaker the knowledge of where to "get" the music and play it.

But, that system doesn't allow all media from a computer to play on the speaker. Basically just the music, but not movies, game or system sounds. It's just not designed to be a computer speaker.