Skip to main content

Good afternoon,

I’ve been working in AV-IT for a few years now, and the company i work for loves Sonos, as does our clients. I find that they’re great when they work. Unfortunately, because i work in networking I’m constantly having to deal with network loops on the network every time an update happens. Is there a way to prevent wifi from being enabled when updates are done?

The radio isn’t re-enabled. The setting persists across firmware updates and reboots.

If someone were to factory reset and re-add a component then that would re-enable the radio.

An Update will cause all Sonos devices to reboot, is that the actual problem? How are you detecting the “network loop”?

If a router cannot handle a bunch of devices rebooting at around the same time, I would say it is time for a new router.

I would say in many instances i find the radios are re-enabled. Generally after bigger updates. The network loop is created when the connect/amp is hard lined and the wifi is re-enabled. The loop is only created when there are multiple amps/connects on the network. Has nothing to do with the router because I’ve seen this issue with multiple routers. Multicast traffic will start flooding the network randomly.

All I can say is that I’ve had a number of radios disabled for years, and have never known one to be re-enabled by an update. 

I would say in many instances i find the radios are re-enabled. Generally after bigger updates. The network loop is created when the connect/amp is hard lined and the wifi is re-enabled. The loop is only created when there are multiple amps/connects on the network. Has nothing to do with the router because I’ve seen this issue with multiple routers. Multicast traffic will start flooding the network randomly.

It sounds like you’re moving devices around frequently, using different amps in different networks.  I’m wondering if that has a impact on WiFi being re-enabled.

I’m not moving anything around. I have multiple sites that have the same issue arise after updates. Even if i was Wi-Fi shouldn’t be re-enabled.