Skip to main content

Having replaced a Bose wireless speaker with the Roam, one feature I’m really missing is that the Bose would announce remaining battery life when powered on via the power button.  This served as a useful reminder that when I’m finished using it (or asap) I should place it on the charger.

Interesting thought.

I assume this is a percentage of the amount of battery left, and not a time estimate?

I could see where this might be useful, but there may not be a vocoder chip inside the Roam to do so. I still like the idea. If I’m right, maybe worth looking in to for Gen 2 of all Sonos battery powered devices? Assuming, of course, that BOSE doesn’t have a patent on that feature. 

Yes, just percentage remaining.  I think the Bose was using the same voice as Alexa, but it's clearly not an Alexa feature.

Yea, that makes sense. It would be unlikely that Alexa would have access to that kind of data….but I suppose in this world we live in, it could be sent to the cloud and then sent back as an announcement, so there you go. Anything is possible 🙂 And I’d think if it was using the same “voice”, that’s probably what BOSE is actually doing. Sending the data up, having Amazon’s cloud transfer the data to voice, and sending it back. Although you could probably check that, too, just by disconnecting the speaker from the router/internet and seeing if it still works. 

Still, a good idea, for sure :)

Hi @twuk, agreed - that’s a great idea!

As mentioned by Airgetlam, I don’t know myself if this is feasible, however I’ll be happy to pass it on to our development team as a feature request :)