Question

Stream phone output sound directly

• 27 January 2017
  • 3 replies

I would like to use my Sonos as a speaker and just send whatever I'm listening to directly to one of my Sonos devices. Shouldn't that be possible when we are on the same wifi?
As an example I like to listen to audiobooks from Storytel, and would like to "forward" that to sonos.
Any ideas on how to accomplish that?
Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Generally the answer is no. However more services may be allowing direct streaming to Sonos from their app, Spotify for example. But that porcess does not use the phone to do the transmit of sound just the instruction on what to play. Generally phones don't stream audio via Wifi, but in the main rely on BT. You could plug your phone into a Sonos Line in on a Play 5 or connect, or even set up a BT dongle to do the same wirelessly. And there may be something that Apple TV might be able to do too.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Yeah what you are describing is what most wireless speakers do, which isn't what Sonos does..
Badge
Hi,

You could use an Apple Airport Express and connect that to a Play:5. This way you can use AirPlay to stream any audio from your phone to your Sonos setup, at least that's what I'm currently doing.