Still looking for an in-wall keypad solution?

• 19 November 2014
  • 20 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
I've owned Sonos products for almost a year now and they are great.

However, I still find myself wanting an in-wall keypad mounted solution like what I used to have.

If we're having dinner, I don't have a smartphone or tablet nearby.

It was easier with the old sytem of going to over to the wall, pressing a few buttons to get music in a room.

Does Sonos have any plans or are there any 3rd party solutions for this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 2
Something like this?
http://www.simplewallmount.com/products/ipod-touch-4th-generation-wall-mount
I've owned Sonos products for almost a year now and they are great.

However, I still find myself wanting an in-wall keypad mounted solution like what I used to have.

If we're having dinner, I don't have a smartphone or tablet nearby.

It was easier with the old sytem of going to over to the wall, pressing a few buttons to get music in a room.

Does Sonos have any plans or are there any 3rd party solutions for this?

There are many wall mounts for tablets out there. Personally, I would use a 7" Android. Cheaper and not as prone to forced obsolescence as Apple products.
Userlevel 2
Badge
That's sort of the idea. Was hoping Sonos would come up with something or support/recommend a 3rd party option?

I know they used to have their own controller which is sort of what I want but those have been discontinued.
That's sort of the idea. Was hoping Sonos would come up with something or support/recommend a 3rd party option?

I know they used to have their own controller which is sort of what I want but those have been discontinued.

Sonos very rarely recommends 3rd party products.
Personally, I would use a 7" Android. Cheaper and not as prone to forced obsolescence as Apple products.
More than the obsolescence thing, I am not happy with the stability of the controller on my iPod touch - the Mac controller is stable, but not as convenient.
My guess from reading here is that the Android device hosted controllers are more stable and can be set to remain always on. If so, what is a cheap small handheld size device that I can get to dedicate to this function? What kind of OS would work well for this application?
I don't think it would charge in the Sonos Dock? That is the one thing I like about my 2011 iPod touch, that I can leave it there all day and pull it out when in use - except I usually see the Sonos controller rebooting whenever I do that after some idle time.
Userlevel 2
Badge
That's also my issue. I like the mounted keypad option where it can also be powered/charged.

I find myself having to go into another room to get a smartphone or tablet to go back into the same room that I want to use the Sonos.

A powered and mounted in-wall solution to support Sonos is ideal for me. Unfortunately, I don't see a solution currently available.
That's also my issue. I like the mounted keypad option where it can also be powered/charged.

I find myself having to go into another room to get a smartphone or tablet to go back into the same room that I want to use the Sonos.

A powered and mounted in-wall solution to support Sonos is ideal for me. Unfortunately, I don't see a solution currently available.

Why do you not see a solution currently available? Google "tablet wall mount" and you will see literally hundreds of examples. :rolleyes:
If google doesn't work try bing :o

Most folks can get going quickly with Sonos as you can avoid running wires; at the point you want clean, powered in-wall control (of whatever type), you need to run wire. It's a subjective aesthetic / convenience / cost trade off.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
May not be the best answer now that CR100s are only available second hand, but we use 6 CR100s all of which are wall mounted with their charger wire concealed within the walls.

We have been using Sonos like this since 2007 and it works great. We do also use iPads (wall mounted), iPad minis, smart phones and a pair of CR200s but the CR100s are the weapon of choice!
TJRL - in your instance is it the physical buttons or the prevalence of the controllers?

but the CR100s are the weapon of choice!
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
TJRL - in your instance is it the physical buttons or the prevalence of the controllers?
In fact both, we find the CR100s hard buttons so much better than the CR200s or a smart phone's touch screen (NB we do not do a lot of "searches"). In addition having a number wall mounted controllers dotted about (hall, landing, garage etc.) and next to wall mounted cordless land line phones is very convenient.

In our living and main bedrooms we also have tabletop CR100s/200s so that we do not have to get up and walk to wall mounted controllers. For us this is a near perfect setup but at some point our CR100s will start to fail and that does not bear thinking about. 😮

"Always on" hard buttons rule!! 😃
It would be amazing to have a Sonos solution to this need. My speakers are out of reach and a very simple solution would be something like the attached picture. These could be placed next to existing light switchs where power is easily accessible (so you don't have to charge them) and could ideally be paired with zones or work globally. While the app is great, getting to it quickly to change the volume or pausing is not easy or even possible some times. I realize that some would like more control and info, like that of the CR100, in a hard button controller but if you have the time to browse music options you probably have time to navigate to the app too - this is really about making a quick change. Please consider adding this product.
Your design would be perfect if you added a dedicated local mute button (true mute not just rapidly turning down the volume) and an IR eye so you can have a simple IR remote for quick adjustments from the dinner table or while in bed.
Userlevel 1
Badge
What about a logitech harmony?
Possible, andrew77uk, but clunky and a very expensive solution. I am able to control my Playbar with an IR/RF remote in my living room and that is helpful but in the kitchen a remote would just add clutter. I'd also struggle with the idea of paying more than the price of a new Play 1 for sluggish volume control.
Userlevel 1
Badge
May I ask what you want the controller to do?
All I want is an in-wall version of the hard keys found on the speakers which would include a play/pause and volume control. Adding the functions found on the new play 5 would be welcome but, to me, they are not as needed. The in-wall part has a few main values: easy to find/doesn't add clutter and no need to charge it or change out batteries.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Okay tge solution you need is a smartthings hub and a wifi button controller.
Hey there, check out the xPRESS Audio Keypad: sonos.com/en-us/shop/xpress-audio-keypad.html

It's a "works with Sonos" product, and talks directly to a Sonos player on a Wi-Fi network. There's no hub or anyhting else. Can be installed in a Decora wall-plate!