Skip to main content

Hi, I am using a Sonos beam on my TV. Due to my bad hearing and a long distance between the couch and TV I would like add my Sonos roam to the set up, so I can have the sound closer to me when watching TV.

I am able to group the roam and beam temporarily using the app but I neither can I group them permanently through the system setting nor can I use the grouping via the play button. This means I always need to re-group the two via the app in order to watch TV. Why is one button Grouping feature  (https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3391?language=de) not working for TV audio and is there a different work around existing?

Thank you

Yes you can simply press and hold the play button for around 2 seconds to group your ROAM and BEAM, but I think there should be a little bit delay on the ROAM.

I have tried this with my ARC setup and it works without any problem… just not sure about the delay because I was holding the ROAM in another room and couldn’t hear the sound from the ARC setup.

Hi @WolfgangW, and welcome to the Sonos Community!

While you’re not able to permanently bond the Roam to your Beam, you should be able to use the “Group on button press" feature. Sounds like you may be holding the Play/Pause button a little too long, and ending up triggering a Sound Swap (which fails due to TV content being played).

When you first press the Play/Pause button, there should be an initial “bleep", and then approximately one second later, a lower “bloop" - for grouping, this is when you want to release the button.

Keeping the button held down for another second will play a third chime - “blipblip" - this is when the Sound Swap is triggered :)

Hi Xander P, hi wilwong829,

Thank you for your instant help and the warm welcome to Sonos Community! You were absolutely right, I was holding the play pause button for too long. Now  it works fine. Thank you so much and have a great day! Wolfgang

This is exactly what I wanted to do with the roam - I have a beam & 2 plays in a surround setup, and wanted to group the roam and have it on the coffee table (effectively in the middle of this setup and, like OP says, near me for sound). I grouped them through the app no problem but the sound from the Roam was HORRIFICALLY spotty, patching in and out for a few seconds. So frustrating. I tried moving the roam to another room and it still happened. The same thing happened when I tried to group my Move, but not my play:1 in the kitchen. Extremely frustrating!! 

the same patchy sound happened when I was streaming a movie on my Mac and tried to AirPlay the audio to the roam - patchy and unreliable!

my WiFi speed is over 600, so I doubt it’s that, and I have sonosnet as one speaker is wired to my router. (Linksys velop mesh system).