Skip to main content

My Sonos roam will connect and play music on its own, but when I try to group my kitchen Sonos and it together it won’t play music!! You can stop and start music from either one but it won’t play, and vice versa when I play the kitchen Sonos then try and group the roam. Any help would be much appreciated.

@Garney18 

If you have a wifi repeater on your network this could be the reason. They usually aren‘t compatible with the Sonos system. 

I don’t have a wife to extender.. both units work great separately on their own, but when I group them together only one will play, it says they are both playing while in the group as well. I don’t get it..

@Garney18

Ok, so if they both are connected over wifi directly to the router, another reason could be using automatic channel selection for wifi. Try using a fix channel for wifi. 

It’s working now! I got this solution from a TELUS forum 

The easiest way to access the administrative interface is with an Ethernet connected computer. Using a web browser, go to website 192.168.1.254, then enter ‘admin’ and the Admin password on the hub. Under the Wi-Fi settings you should find the setting for SmartSteering. Once you turn it off, you can set it up with 2 SSID and 2 different Wi-Fi bands. You should then be able to connect the Sonos to the 2.4 GHz band.

Thanks for your help Schlumpf!!

It’s working now! I got this solution from a TELUS forum 

The easiest way to access the administrative interface is with an Ethernet connected computer. Using a web browser, go to website 192.168.1.254, then enter ‘admin’ and the Admin password on the hub. Under the Wi-Fi settings you should find the setting for SmartSteering. Once you turn it off, you can set it up with 2 SSID and 2 different Wi-Fi bands. You should then be able to connect the Sonos to the 2.4 GHz band.

Thanks for your help Schlumpf!!

Great… you got it! ;-)