Sonos Gen 5 not connecting (wireless and wired)

• 4 November 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi, losing the will with the reliability of my sonos system. I run a split system with newer s2 compatible products and then 2 old Gen 1 play 5s on the s1 as a separate network. All was well till about a month ago when the play 5s just stopped working. I have tried everything rebooting, restarting routers, running it wired and unwired. When I do a complete restart, delete and reboot the app, reset the speaker and do a new set up, the app recognises the speaker and the network initially, it creates the Sonos wifi network temporarily but when you then need to select the wifi network again that’s where it stops. I have a split band 2.4 and 5ghz router and am selecting the 2.4 as I know Gen 1 is incompatible with 5 ghz. As I work long hours attempting to call Sonos with their opening hours (no eves and weekends) is difficult. Please help??!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Do you have a simple, letters/numbers only SSID? Try that if you don’t.

Both at once is quite odd unless you had a power related failure. A radio failure isn’t uncommon but again on both at once isn’t likely.

Can you power off all your Sonos. Then hook one Play 5 to Ethernet and factory reset it. Then install it as a new system and see if it works. If it does then the Play 5 isn’t broken internally.

Your local support page offers chat, it shows up as available on Saturday, at 3:00 GMT or 8:00 PM Arizona time.

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/contact

Thanks.  It’s now fixed a router reboot seems to have done the trick

Reserve fixed IP addresses for Sonos devices and your mobiles. There’ll be an option in your router config pages somewhere. Consult the manufacturer documentation. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Check your router’s DHCP Server settings page, they are usually there.