Answered

Sonos five purchase now or wait?

• 30 October 2023
  • 8 replies

• Contributor I
  • 2 replies

Ok I’m transitioning to the Sonos world from Apple. Saw the Move 1 on sale at Costco for $299. Seems like a great price $150 less than a Move 2. I bought two for a stereo setup. I’m a big fan of Peter Pee on Youtube and he has me convinced the Sonos Five is probably the best choice. As far as I can tell the current gen 3 has been out for about 3 years and it looks like Sonos introduces a new version about every 5 yrs. 

The question is whether Sonos Fives will go on Black Friday sales or any sale price before the end of the year.

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 30 October 2023, 03:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

They may but Sonos rarely gives advanced notice of sales.

I’d watch for a sale, like the current (ends tonight) Early Black Friday 20% off one and grab a couple Fives.

Way at the bottom: $1048 or $50 off.

Deals, Discounts, Promos & Special Offers | Sonos

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/promotional-offers

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Just to keep up with Sonos lingo and prevent confusion: the speaker is called Five. There’s no Play 5 (Gen 3).

Didn’t see where anybody referenced Play 5. 

Any idea of how much of a discount I could hope for? Not worth waiting if it’s just $50 off.

Any idea of how much of a discount I could hope for? Not worth waiting if it’s just $50 off.

My guess would be 20-30% discount, but it really is just a guess and some products may not be in the sale too. 🤷‍♂️

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

There’s a mention of “the current gen 3”, when there where two generations of Play 5 and the Five is on it’s first generation.

Ah so the CL ads with third gen Five are incorrect. Thanks. Guess all the Play Five versions actually say Play Five on the speaker. The latest version will simply say Five. For me this is probably a mute issue (no pun intended) as there are few listed and they seem to sell quickly. 

Saving 10% is probably not enough for me to worry about waiting for Black Friday. I bought two Move’s on sale at Costco for $300 each. I then bought a Five from Best Buy to compare. I do think the single Five is better but I really like the Move’s Blue Tooth feature. I’m out in a very rural area and can lose internet. I hate being dependent on wifi. It’s why I sold my Homepods. Besides a cheaper price I was hoping the next gen Five will have wifi. But I suspect that version is a few years off if at all. Not sure how the Move’s will be long term as I will not be moving them from the charge cradle very often. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Not to put too fine a point on it , but they probably say Play 5 or Play:5 for the Gen 2 or  Play:5 or Zoneplayer S5 for the Gen 1. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Play:5 

Who is CL?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Not to put too fine a point on it , but they probably say Play 5 or Play:5 for the Gen 2 or  Play:5 or Zoneplayer S5 for the Gen 1. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Play:5 

Who is CL?

Craigslist