Skip to main content

Hi all,

I have a Sonos Five, I have a question about placing it. I have it on my desk where I work on my laptop close to it. I just wanted to know if it would be fine keeping the speaker next to electronic devices such as laptop, TV etc. 

Also, I am planning to get another Five for a stereo setup for my TV. I am not sure if I should invest in another sonos or get a Sub. I am not sure if two Five would be able to compensate for the bass. I don’t want heavy bass but still reasonable. Making a stereo pair makes more sense but then I want some opinions. 

Thanks,

SB

Sonos near other devices really depends on how electrically noisy they are. I’ve had issues with devices that had no radio, Sonos choked when they were within about a meter. Othe gear is happy sitting directly beside a Sonos. You could look at your Network Matrix to see if your devices are going to be an issue.

You may not be happy with a non-TV Sonos for your TV needs, if you just want to have it by the TV for music listening that would be fine.

Maybe a Beam and Sub for TV sound or a pair of Ones and a Sub for music?

simarbhamra97,

In the horizontal orientation FIVE is a stereo system, but you must be very close to the box in order to realize a stereo effect.

Goodness of sound is in the ear of the listener. Only you know what sounds “best” (to you). Does the FIVE that you are using have enough bass?

Sonos near other devices really depends on how electrically noisy they are. I’ve had issues with devices that had no radio, Sonos choked when they were within about a meter. Othe gear is happy sitting directly beside a Sonos. You could look at your Network Matrix to see if your devices are going to be an issue.

You may not be happy with a non-TV Sonos for your TV needs, if you just want to have it by the TV for music listening that would be fine.

Maybe a Beam and Sub for TV sound or a pair of Ones and a Sub for music?

Hi @Stanley_4, I couldn’t see the Network Matrix probably due to the fact that I only have one Sonos speaker at my home. But it’s been near to my laptop for more than 2 days and seems to work fine.

Also, thank you for your opinion. I had my eyes on the beam and sub combination but I am not sure if having two five would sound better cause they actually sound crisp and clear (provided I might later add the Sonos sub). The issue is as you said beam is meant to work as a soundbar so which one will work well with my TV.

simarbhamra97,

In the horizontal orientation FIVE is a stereo system, but you must be very close to the box in order to realize a stereo effect.

Goodness of sound is in the ear of the listener. Only you know what sounds “best” (to you). Does the FIVE that you are using have enough bass?

Hi @buzz , I totally agree with you, it is hard to notice the stereo effect.

The Sonos Five does sound good and currently, I haven’t connected it to my TV but according to my room, the bass is quite good provided I had the Harman Kardon Studio before so compared to that it’s quite crisp and clear with an adequate low-frequency response. But definitely, it cannot match a dedicated sub.