Skip to main content

Hi There, 

I currently have 1 Play Five and love it. Considering getting a second unit to pair for stereo sound in the lounge. What is the deal with dolby Atmos? Will the two fives be able to give that sound experience as Apple music now has that ability from the source. 

A pair of Sonos Fives will give you stereo audio only, not atmos.  Only the Arc and Beam have the capability of playing atoms music, although I don’t know off hand (pretty sure not) if they play Apple’s brand of spatial audio.

My personal opinion though is that a stereo on a pair of Fives is great.  Atmos on an Arc improves the audio in some cases, but far from all.

Dolby Atmos immersive surround audio on Sonos using 2 x ‘Fives’, currently requires a Sonos Arc, or a Beam (gen2) HT product ‘bonded’ to the Fives for the two height channels (pseudo in the case of the Beam) and that then includes the front and surround channels needed for that codec. Ideally you would also add a Sonos Sub into the mix too, although the latter is not essential, but recommended.

In addition to the information already mentioned above, the only way to play Dolby Atmos/Spatial Audio music from Apple Music on the Arc or Beam (Gen 2) is through an Apple TV 4K directly connected to the TV.

The only streaming service that currently supports Dolby Atmos music streaming through the Sonos app is Amazon Music Unlimited.